Is this a good deal? -- An equipment question.

Dec 14, 2011
WI
My brother's friend is selling an 8 gallon Fluval Edge with two clownfish and a camelback shrimp. He won't go any lower than $75. I don't know at this moment what kind of filtration he has or anything, but I was wondering if I should be considering this.

What does everyone think?

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
That's a fair deal. The shrimp are not reef safe so you wouldn't want to get coral if you keep the camel back shrimps in there. I would trade them for some peppermint shrimp. You will also be needing the tools to test the water for salinity and quality. SW tanks can be very rewarding and beautiful. Also note that the water level in a SW tanks needs to be topped off a couple times a day so the salinity does not go up and kill the livestock. Also SW tanks need to have RO/DI water for topping off and water changes. We would love to see pics if you get it.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
With multiple tanks - no matter what kind - your operating expenses will increase and so you kind of need to be prepared for that. SW itself seems to be expensive with all the special things it needs - I've been keeping track of Kerry and Strout. (I have not done SW and assume I never will), but with freshwater multiple tanks I've had filter, heater and light failures which needed immediate purchases. So far I have not had to buy any additives, but I have had to replace the chemicals in my liquid test kit. This is not exactly a cheap hobby, but, of course, any pet you keep comes with responsibilities that sometimes gets costly.

Dec 14, 2011
WI
I really want to try my hand at a nano reef, althouh perhaps not with corals at first. I'm just confused as to how to set the tank up properly if there are already fish in it. I don't think the rock in it right now is live, and I want to replace the pebble substrate with sand. I'm not worried about lighting right now I don't think. It doesn't seem that live rock needs anything special in terms of lighting, although I might be wrong.

I've read that people have hermit crabs and snails and things to clean their tanks, so should I be looking into these as well? I don't even know when to add them.

Last edited:

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
The rock is called live because it has living bacteria in and on it just like a FW tank. Live rock is necessary to maintain a healthy SW tank. I would get a couple hermit crabs. Crabs do not clean anything they just eat uneaten food and other carbon sources that the fish don't eat or miss and further breaks down this carbon into stuff that the nitrogen cycle can consume.
As far as sand goes you could just put it over the pebble that's in it now and not disturb the balance of the tank.
The light is not to important if you don't have corals, as long as its intended for a tank it should be OK.

Dec 14, 2011
WI
Would it mess up too much if I replaced the pebbles? They're very unsightly and I would rather them just not be in there. Also, would I need to buy an RO unit? If so, how big should I be looking for?

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
You need a RO/DI unit. This is the unit I bought, The storage tank holds a little better then 2 gallons. This would be enough for your weekly or biweekly water changes and top off. This unit has a drinking water unit and a hose with a spigot that is under the sink to fill your RO/DI tank water. You dont have to use the drinking water part, its just the best priced deal because you really need a storage tank. I also use two 30 Gallon Brute trash bins for all the RO/DI I use, I have little float valves in the bins so the water turns off by itself, kind of like a toilet water valve.

Dec 14, 2011
WI

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If you only have an 8 gallon, you could see if your LFS sells RO water and ready-made saltwater. A lot of independent stores do. It would be a lot easier than setting up your own RO system and making your own saltwater each week.

For an 8 gallon, you probably only need one powerhead. The system already likely has a return pump creating some flow. I like the Koralia pumps, but there are a lot of others out there.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
SW is very rewarding but there is a lot of failure and learning that comes with a cost of money from your pocket. Once you up and rolling and figure it all out the maintenance is not any more then a freshwater tank really, besides the salt additive and sometimes you need to dose chemicals if you go a long time between water changes. You can build an algae scrubber and basically never do a water change on a SW tank. All you do is dose chemical, top off, and clean the algae screen every week or two. I have three SW tanks that have been virtually water change free for over a year. I did have a power outage that crashed the tanks but that was unforeseeable circumstance that I was not counting. Its amazing how an established SW or FW tank with plants can be like its own little ecosystem if you get it just right.

Dec 14, 2011
WI
I held off on buying this tank because I didn't have the money for it at the time. He's been steadily dropping the price on a FaceBook for sale/to buy group, and just today he went down to $50. I wonder if I should be jumping on this new price, or holding out longer to see if it drops it more.

I don't think I posted a picture of it before:

538870_423261811027208_295569393_n.jpg

Dec 14, 2011
WI
That's what I was thinking. I'm trying to factor in the things that I'd like to change about it, like how it doesn't seem to have a power head, the substrate isn't sand, and I don't think there's enough live rock. Is it just me, or does it look kind of dirty in there too?

Dec 14, 2011
WI
For an 8 gallon, you probably only need one powerhead. The system already likely has a return pump creating some flow. I like the Koralia pumps, but there are a lot of others out there.
I know this is horribly late, but I don't know what size to get. First he said 8 gallon, now he says 10 gallon. I don't know which it is. And as far as I can tell, it seems like he only has a HOB and a heater in there. I don't see any other piece of equipment in the tank.

The smallest Koralia that AG sells is a 3.5W. Is that a good size, or should I be looking for bigger/smaller?

Last edited:

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
That pump is fine. Start with one and see how you like it. I have one in my non reef 10G SW tank and two in my reef 10G SW tank. The gravel can be removed and sand can be added along with more rock as well. You should try to get up to about 15-20 pounds of live rock, this can be done slowly its no rush unless you are. The sand should be about 1-1.5" deep. This will make an nice little set-up and easy to maintain with 2 SW gallon water changes every other week.

Dec 14, 2011
WI
You've been so helpful, but I still have so many questions! Baah!

The guy doesn't have a testing kit, so I was looking at the API ones, and I don't know whether to get the Saltwater or Reef kit. I also want to get some cleaner crabs and snails, but I don't know what kinds or how many. Aaaaand, is it okay to position the power head at the top of one side and angle it down a little?

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
You want the reef kit. The ammonia and other FW API stuff works with the SW you just need to go to the site and download the SW color chart. Start out with a couple to a few hermit crabs and only one Turbo snail as with two one might starve. The reef kit will test Alkalinity (KH) this should be at about 8-9, the Calcium should be between 350-450, and the Magnesium should be about 1300. The water changes will keep these in check if they are getting low or the nitrates rise you need a water change. There is tons of stuff you will learn about the hobby by venturing into SW. Take little baby steps and you will be fine. Also just so you know, you will kill some stuff at first as there is a learning curve here.