Is my platy pregnant?

Oct 27, 2010
Gold Coast, Australia
Just bought this platy along with 2 more platies and a molly last week and i think this one is getting bigger. Ive read the forums about pregnant platies but id like if someone else can confirm this for me. How long to go until little fry might start showing up?
Ive also noticed that between the two bottom fins has started to bulge out. is this bad?

Attachments

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
It might be too early to tell. When they get really close to giving birth you can see the dark spot where the babies are, and I don't see that in yours yet. If you got it from a store that wasn't separating males and females, she probably is pregnant though. As far as I can tell though, that IS a female, just to add that as well.

Oct 27, 2010
Gold Coast, Australia
When they get really close to giving birth you can see the dark spot where the babies are, and I don't see that in yours yet.
I can see a dark patch near her bottom fins but i dont know if it is the fry. here is a picture with the darkened patch.
Also she has been sort of hiding in the corner of the tank on her own at times then swims around normally?

Helena21 if you think she is pregnant when should i separate her from the rest of my tank to protect the fry when born?

Attachments

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
Yeah, I'd say those are the baby fry in there.

To keep them alive, either have a lot of plants in your tank for them to hide in. I think floating things work better than ground plants, but that's debatable. You can try a breeder net, but you still have to be careful to get the mother out of the net before she just eats all the fry in the net. This happened to me once. Even if you don't do anything at all you might still get lucky and have a few survive. This happened to me once before I even knew what was going on.

Oct 27, 2010
Gold Coast, Australia
OMG!
Just got back from uni and my sister found some little babies in the tank. she said she saw one swimming and then cut open a coke bottle, washed it and put the mummy platy in there.
From what you all said i was expecting next week maybe see some fry but she popped em out today.
Ive counted 11 little fry all alive i think. We put the mummy platy bank in the tank with the others but we will keep an eye oh her to see if any more come.
Still what do the fry eat?
Here are some pictures of the babies.
I took a picture of the mummy platy, still looks a bit big. think she has any more left?

Attachments

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
Wow, that's a ton of babies. Congratulations. I usually just crush up flakes really, really small and feed them to the fry. There's probably something better for them to eat, but that works for me.

Oct 27, 2010
Gold Coast, Australia
Hi everyone that replied to me first lot of posts about my pregnant platy. She had a total of 11 fry and all are well and healthy.:)
Also i am 90% sure my silver molly is now pregnant. The silver molly and the orange platy both were bought together and are both pregnant, how coincidental. Anyways there is a photo attached of my silver molly 1 day after i bought her on 20 Oct (picture 2) and another one taken today(picture 3).
Can you all confirm my hunch of her being pregnant.
Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2010
Gold Coast, Australia
She is sort of dominating the front section of the tank, she is starting to dive at the other fish that come too close to her in her section.
Also can see her gravid spot getting dark but im not sure if that is just because she is a white and slightly transparent molly. :confused: