Is it a swordtail or platy?

Coyote

Large Fish
Nov 22, 2002
Visit site
For a male swordtail, what will develop first: gonpodium or sword-like tail fin? I just found one of my 3-month old baby swordtails has developed a gonopodium but it doesn't have sword-like tail fin yet. I'm wondering what they really are.

Mike

Large Fish
Nov 9, 2002
Los Angeles, California
Visit site
the gonopodium will usually develop first. as it gets older it will eventually get a swordtail. some males dont have dont even have a swordtail but this rarely happens. only males will get the gonopodium so as long as you see this its a male. i wont know how to compare a platy cause i dont know how to tell the difference between a small baby platy or swordtail.
~~Mike

Oct 22, 2002
The sword will come soon for him. You will notcie that his tail is no longer fna shaped and now has a slight protrusion at the bottom of it.

In general, the males that develop the "malish" characteristics(gonopodium and swod) later than others are more likely to win a mate and control a territory. Probably because they are bigger. They are also more sensitive to change then are the smaller ones however.

In my experience, the dominant male will herd all the females he can ito his territor,y and try ot preent the subdominants from comign iin to mate with them. Thne he spends what little spare time he has matign with the females.

Coyote

Large Fish
Nov 22, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for the info, nonamethefish.
The sword is developing on that male. So far, I've identified 3 males and 1 female. The other 3 are still unknown. Now, those males are getting more aggressive towards each other. If those unknown turns out to be males, my tank will be like a war zone, won't it? Any advice to bring peace to my tank?

Oct 22, 2002
If you plan on havign more wordtails..I'd suggest a 20 gallon(preferably larger0 nak to be set up. This will allow the males to spread out.

The unknowns might be late bloomers ,and they are often thought to be females and then...huh? Whats that? A little sword on his tail!