irahnas with other fish...

nf9648

Small Fish
May 18, 2004
Fort Hood, TX
Visit site
Pirahnas with other fish...

I tried to move my post from the cichlid page to this one, but was denied and couldnt even delete it, so this is a repost. Ive got two oscars and two red belly pacus (all between 2"-3" in length) in my 55 gallon, and want to put two smaller red belly pirahnas in soon. Im planning on getting rid of the pacus before they get too big, but want to keep the oscars, will the oscars get eaten by the two pirahnas, even with feeder fish in the tank?

Last edited:

TIGER9

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
indiana
it usually works out like this. if u get juvi. piranha they will probably end up as food for ur oscars. if u get piranha to big for ur oscars to eat then the piranha will usually end up eating ur oscars. tho i have seen piranha and oscars together its mostly a temporary thing. theyll get along just long enough for u to think that everythings cool in the tank, then u come home one day and *TA-DA* ur missin some fish. piranha are best kept as a single species fish. either forget about piranha or get rid of all ur other fish and get some piranha. good luck either way u go man*celebrate

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Little tank, 4 + big fish. Pretty soon something unpleasant will happen as all those fish can and shold grow an inch a month. Do you want a single oscar or the piranhas as that's what you'll eventually end up with.

Dec 25, 2005
Pacific NorthWest
RE: Pirahnas with other fish...

if you wanted to do something like this I would suggest providing a large supply of feeder fish before attempting adding new fish and also I find it helps best if you rearrange the tank so that previous occupants are dislocated from their established territories. I have done this in my tank with great success.

I Currently have a red tail shark, silver dollar, pleco with 3 rb pacus & 4 rb piranha. My pacu seem to be more aggressive than the piranha, eating 5-10 feeders instantly a piece while the piranha tend to eat whenever they want.

Provide everyone enough places to hide so they dont fight over one pot or cave and try putting in 3 of a kind, that way if 1 or 2 get eaten 1 still will make it usually.

just my experience thought not the law of the land