Intake tube for eclipse filter? Can you remove?

svneo

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Anyone know if the intake tube on an eclipse system can be removed?  The filter basket is still below water level without the tube.  They say you can shorten it, but does not mention if you can remove it or not.  I don't see why you can't.

Thanks

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Re: Intake tube for eclipse filter? Can you remove

I just took the intake tube off my sytem six, if that's any help to ya.

As far as shortening it, the only way I would know how is with a hack-saw. That how I did it to my Penguine 330 to fish the intake to a 20 gallon high.

~~Colesea

WonderBoy

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002

You can take the tube off and attach the basket to the pump but why?  Most crud falls to the bottom of the tank were it should be picked up.

svneo

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002

The reason I wanted to take it off is because it sticks out so far from the back of the tank.  It comes out 2-3 inches and all the way down to the bottom.  I thought about hiding it with plants but I thought it might be too strong and the leaves may stick to the basket?

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA

I have a huge ceramic relpica sunken tree log propped up against mine. Then again, I only have a System Six, so anything you put in front of that intake works well to hide it.

Depending upon how large a tank you have, you could make a huge pyramid of rocks in front of it. Lots of tall plastic or silk plants that won't get caught in the basket.

Or, this is what I did to my 330 in the 29 gallon tank. I have a plain blue backing on the tank, so I wrapped my intake tube in the same backing, being careful to make sure the shading matched, taped it on really good, then reattached it to the fliter. It isn't as obtrusive that way, and I have a large replica tree stump in front of the basket to hide that, and some plastic plants around it to flow into the rest of the tank. It doesn't stand out as it did when it was just all black. The only time I don't like it is when the light is one, then the light just highlights the bright blue of the intake tube and it really stands out. I'm working on getting a less bright spectrum of light.
~~Colesea