inexpensive medium sized pleco

Feb 16, 2011
that would cost <$20?
it will be for a 90-110 gallon tank..
also see my other thread in the begginner freshwater called
stocking a 90 gallon..:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Feb 16, 2011
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I adore my albino BN pleco. She's turned into one of the most striking fish in my tank.
nice albino!!!and cat!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:
thank you for all the quick responses:eek::eek::eek:

ive got more info from this forum in like 3 days then i have in others in about 5 weeks:eek::eek:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!:eek::eek:*twirlysmi

Jan 8, 2009
Richmond,Va
that would cost <$20?
it will be for a 90-110 gallon tank..
also see my other thread in the begginner freshwater called
stocking a 90 gallon..:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

A Rubber lipped pleco is a perfect medium sized plec that is very affordable.Rubber Lipped plecs grow to a max. of 7" and the price range differs:$7.00-$15.00 price range dippending on where you live.I owned one years ago,to be honest:not my favorite plec.I like the Gold nugget plecs but the Rubber lipped are cool in there own way.

Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
Bristlenoses all the way... They're cute and make me laugh non stop... I just bought 4 baby ones yesterday, non stop cleaning my tank. and they're so cute... Sticking to the glass where the current is hitting them.. they love it...

When they're bigger they may hide a bit more but they're quite good all round, and my lfs did 3 of them for £6.50 so cheap too...

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
Yeah if you need cheap I would go bushy or bristle nose. Rubber lip look neat I haven't kept one but they look real cute when i see them out and around.

Try not to get too focused on getting your entire stocking plan at one time (one because you should introduce your stock slowly, and two because it's hard on the wallet)

Nuggets, Phantoms, etc are all going to be out of your price range of 20.00 but maybe something to save for on down the road.

Honestly I would set up your tank and add plecos last, if you have an ich outbreak it's much easier to treat with out plecos.

Also don't really expect your plecos to do much cleaning..... They are just fun bottom feeders that occaisionally suck on the glass. Generally a pleco that is sticking to the glass all the time is unhappy, he would rather have a cave. They don't like to be exposed.

Also on the wood eating, ok so you saw the photos of my tanks, I have fleets of plecos in every tank, my drift looks the same as it did 6 years ago... Yes they naw on it, but it's such a small amount that you won't notice it, other then the wood colored poo.

Feb 27, 2011
www.aqua-fish.net
I do not know what kind of plecos you are talking about, but 20$ for a pleco? When our plecos (Bristlenose Pleco) breed like maniacs, we sold them for about 1$ into a pet shop (and they were not those little 1 inch plecos, but 2 to 4 inch), but when somebody wrote to us in a forum and came for them, we gave them for free. And they were special, because they had a marking behind their heads, which looked just like the Dolce&Gabbana symbol :-D I really should try to make a photo of their father.

Of course if you want less usual pleco... anyway I think, that 20$ is a bit much... I think, that here it is very difficult to find an expensive pleco...

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
SusanFish yeah initially we were talking nugget phanton royal something real fancy (on his other thread), those all run 40-100 depending on size fish stores generally sell bushies for 6-15 breeders 2-20 depending on size.