indian dwarf puffers

mattistat

Large Fish
Sep 9, 2006
Sothern California
hello all. my friend got an indian dwarf puffer today and i was wondering if brackish fish are more tutchy to water parimiters as fresh water fish? ps he dosnt know all too mutch i tried talking him outta getting one but he did annyways.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Since puffers don't have any scales and they are really messy fish (due to what they eat) then, yah, you could say that they are more sensitive to water conditions - they need top quality water parameters and a lot of maintenance and extra heavy filtration.

Also - does your friend realize that "Indian" dwarf puffers aren't a brackish species of puffer?? They require freshwater? Here's a link:Dwarf Puffers : About Dwarf Puffers

Last edited:

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Welllllllllll....if the guy at the pet store said it......it must be true, right?

LOL ;) I'm just kiddin. He doesn't need salt for them, the guy at the pet store probably meant well, but isn't familiar with the different species of puffers. He will need a nice quality filter and he can buy that with the money he will save on salt.:p That and a lot of dechlor for all those water changes. What size tank is it in do you know?

Nov 15, 2006
hmmm?

Im picking my dwarf puffer up on thursday, I was thinking about getting two just so they had some company...should I just get a bottom feeder (Id really like to put in a bumblebee goby with him) or would he be happy alone? also @ petsmart they told me to feed him some sort of flakes and everyone has been saying live food....he also told me I needed to put aquarium salt in the water? can someone help me....?:confused:

Last edited:

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Bumblebee Gobies are brackish and dwarf puffers are freshwater, so they wouldn't be compatible.

No - you will not need to add any salt to their water. They are 100% freshwater. They probably won't eat flakes. Try some frozen daphnia, frozen bloodworms, etc. Read this link for more info about them: Dwarf Puffers : Home