inapropriate food for goldfish

Hello all looking for any advise, I came home from work tonight and checked all the goldfish tanks and was going to feed them their evening meal. I noticed that one of my young lionheads appeared to beeating something rather large. Upon closer inspection, it was one of my coryadoris barbadus' tails hanging out of the goldfishes mouth. Both fish, at the time, were still alive. I have since carefully, I think, extracted the cory from the goldfish. The cory has since died, minus his pectorals which I believe he left behind in the goldfish. The goldfish is still working his mouth like he still has something stuck. I don't want to lose both fish, what should I do besides monitoring the situation. I have moved this fish to a tank without corys in it. He had been peacefully cohabitating for 2 months. Thanks for your help.*SICK*

Jenn

Last edited:

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Ouchie! All you really can do is wait it out and let him recover. Some salt or Melafix in the water and added aeration could be helpful. Gotta love those goldies' appetites! oy...... *GOLDFISH*

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
With many fish, especially most catfish such as barbatus, once they get into a fish's mouth head first past their fins, they are STUCK and need to be removed manually. The barbatus have spines at the end of their fins and cannot back out. The goldfish had a three pronged fork lodging that fish in there. Unfortunately in these cases, even with great care, at least one fish must be sacrificed when separating or perishes shortly thereafter due to the trauma.

PS, you may wish to shorten your sig so it doesn't stretch everyone's posts. ;)

SAE

Small Fish
Apr 14, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
The same happened with mine. I rehoused the remaining corys quickly. The cory died, but the goldie was fine. I would do as suggested above and treat to prevent infection with a big water change and some salt, perhaps some melafix if you have it.

ninamarie

Superstar Fish
Jan 4, 2006
Kalifornia, Silicon Valley
I had a big goldie and he has eatten 4 snails that I have put in the tank to help keep it clean, 2 at different times not all in the tank at once, he would grab the snail and then drop it on the rocks to crack it them open and eat them!!! very said to see that the next morning...poor gary's!!!!