Important: Need To Know

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
I am wondering if I get a different color Discus and its a male can they breed?? If so, does it cause problems like Rainbows?? I would like them to breed but I wont know what the store has till I get there and I want to know before I buy. (And I dont want to trust the LFS ;))

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
The colors you refer to are usually called Strains. Different strains of discus can breed together without any problems yes. Still the same species, just a different color morph (strain). Not to mention that the pair has to acctually like each other.

However, discus breeding is a bit more complicated then just getting a male and female. Its very unlikely they will breed, or breed sucessfully in a normal tank not setup for breeding specifically. It takes large amounts of water changes and certain water specs (pH, Temp, etc) to breed them sucessfully, which might not be good for your plants or other fish. And they won't usually do it in the community type setting. Its why breeders dedicate smaller tanks to each pair by itself.

phishy

Small Fish
Mar 20, 2006
east coast
discus you said

I have kept discus in the past like 5 years ago a pair in a 75 gallon for several years. if you are really interested in breeding them rather than just a show tank like the member said water parameters is extremely important and water changes that is why alot of discus owners eventually set up a self water changing system and most prefer a bare bottom tank for breeding but can be done with a planted tank which is well established. I know that the PH has to be acidic 6.5 and temp 84-82 F is prefer any slight in temperature or ph will cause stress and then sickness and disease. It is very important to purchase around 6 juveniles and let them pair off on their own you will then know which pair you want to breed. When I do another discus tank again I am purchasing juveniles so they can pair off on their own. also by the way tetras are the fish that are recommended in a discus tank and for bottom feeders corydoras and plants anubis I believe that is how you spell it. :D