Impellor needs a spin

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Okay all you mechanical folk, here's the deal.

I've got a Marineland Eclipse System Six with the in the hood power filter. It's a pretty good filter, and it is approximately 2 years old.

Every time power is cut to the filter (aka the power surge we had while on vacation!!) the filter no longer restarts itself. They're suppose to be self priming.  The first time this happened I jiggled the thing and it worked.  The second time it happened I had to clean the whole impellor casing and it worked (I called Marineland, they told me to take the thing apart and clean it).  

Now it has happened yet again. I cleaned the impellor, have banged it around, to no avail. I know the motor still works because I can hear that humming, I'm just getting absolutely no water flow.  Sometimes I can also hear the impellor banging around inside.  When I took the impellor out I noticed that the magnates seem all sticky. When I wet them down thinking this will help reduce the friction, the impellor still refuses to spin. I got waterflow out of it once for just a few seconds before it quite (of course this was after I put the fish back in doh!). This was only after I had removed the uptake tube and let the filter siphon with just the casing in the water.

All the tubing and everything is clear and clean. What can I help to get the impellor spinning again? Is there some sort of lubercant it needs? Is the housing not on tight enough or is too tight? Do I need a new impellor? Replacing the whole unit is just too expensive for me right now, but that shouldn't be necessary if the motor still works, right?

This is kinda important because this is the home tank of my zebra pleco. Because I have no water circulation, I can't put my heater on either.  So far I threw in an air stone, but I don't know how long this fish will last without proper circulation.
~~Colesea

Volitan

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.fishbowlauctions.com
If its sticky.. then there must be some residue on it yet.. such as algea.. another thing to check for is.. I had this happen before on other powerfilters.. grab the magnet and then with your other hand grab the impeller.. now spin the magnet.. does it grab? there always is a quarter or half turn of slack in these things to aid in it ever starting again with water in it.. kinda gives it a little spin to wind up and get things going... anyways.. if you grab the magnet and it can spin around and around and the impeller doesnt turn.. then the plastic peice is broken at the end of the magnet.. this means you need a new impeller.. other then that.. if that checks out fine.. just make sure its Completely clean.. use hot bleach water I found is best to remove ALL algea and scum buildup on these things.. and if you have a cleaning brush be sure to clean the inside of the bore that the magnet sits in aswell... Hope any of this helps ya out.. if not.. maybe we can come up with some other ideas..

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Thanks Volitan and Luvs, the wheel part catchs just fine, and when I hold the impellor between my two fingers, the whole piece also still spins, although it does feel a bit tight to me.

But it is too late now, Mr. Zippy no longer needs a filter.
~~Colesea :-[

I saw Zebra pl*cos in several stores in San Francisco when I was there a month ago. It seemed like they had them in almost all of their tanks in one store. Either one of the keepers favorites, or maybe they quarrel with each other... Don't know for sure, I wasn't shopping for them, just remember seeing them there when I hadn't seen then in my LFSs in Redding, CA.

Oct 22, 2002
Silver Spring, MD
hey cole if u mean that it is hard to spin when u hold the rubber ends u might need a new one but i also found out a way to fix it i found out about this when i found a stuck impellor an old one i thought i threw out but anyways if u can rip it apart pull one of the rubber end caps off the metal bar and pull the magnet impellor out get something to clean inside of the magnet impellor like paper clip or something and feel the metal bar and see if it feels smooth most likely like mine some gunk got stuck in there and over time it hardened and made it hard to spin mine was stuck u couldn't even spin it after i did this it spins freely and i tested it on my filter it was originally in it works!!!! i think i mentioned this in another post about filter not workin so might have a more descriptive how to do it