IM worried bout my discus

burtoncb47

Large Fish
Nov 12, 2006
Southern CA
i just got 2 new dicus and they were doing good at first...but now the smaller one is acting strange his colors are almost black and stripes are faded he is not eating much and the food he does get he spits back out im worried..the other one is doing great colors are bright and is eating pretty good considering they arent settled yet
i gotem both at the same tim about 3-4 days ago
please help!!

Burton

burtoncb47

Large Fish
Nov 12, 2006
Southern CA
ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates about 5

its strange all fish are good and the other dicus is good but this one just kinda sits at the top behind my big green fake plant and sometimes he is kinda sideways!!!

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
it just may be the stress. the gourami might be bothering him as well. thier really too fast and hyper for discus. have you noticed any of the fish picking on him?
i have the same problem with one of mine. hell sit behind a plant or under the filter away from the rest. discus, like other fish, have personalities. he may just be shy or pouty. discus can also fast for short amounts of time.
they also like to be in groups and can be slightly aggressive, so when theres only two the bigger one may pick on the smaller one.
just give him time and hell come out of it

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
This is absolutely typical when you uy small numbers of small discus. The smallest is hassled, becoms stressed and then refuses to eat, rapidly starving to death in a week or so. It is most likely the other discus, but it could be another fish as well.
Your options are to buy another 4, and hope the aggression is dissipated, and you have got there fast enough, or to separate it. Unfortunately if you leave it and hope, I'd say you are 99% condemning it to a painful death.
Matt suspects hexamita, I don't think so, I think it's simply the normal response to stress.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
i dont think its a disease at all. and thats not exactly true about getting four more...there is hardly enough room in there for four more of them.
and waiting and hoping will not end up in the death of the fish. i have a fish just like that that i have had for 4 months now, he doesnt eat when im around, always hides, but he is perfectly fine and not even skinny.

try some live food, he may not be able to get any food with the other fish in there. black worms, blood worms, brine shrimp. or even frozen. mine love frozen blood worms and brine shrimp.

there are people who successully keep two discus together but normally they do perfer a group.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
I agree with Fuzz and TheFool (nice name btw :p). I had 2 discus a while ago and the same thing happened. One ended up dying. You need to get another Discus. I actually think that getting two would be better. Or get rid of the Discus. Aslo do more research on the best tank mates, as some of yours are not the best.

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
What is the water temp, and what are you feeding him?
Do you have and air stone in the tank?
What is the GH/KH?

When you first introduce Discus into a new tank there is at least a two week acclamation period. Sometimes they will even lay on the bottom of the tank as if they were sleeping or worse. As with angel fish there is always going to be a pecking order. If you stick three angel fish in a tank there is going to be a large one, medium one, and a small one, same goes with discus, it’s just the way they are set up.

I have two discus in a 55G and one is much smaller than the other and his stress bars are always going except right before I turn the lights on in the morning. He does eat, but he doesn't like to come to the top with the other guy, so what I do is either drop in two blocks of BH and float a couple blood worms on the top, that way they have a choice of what to eat, so they aren't as bothered as much. I also introduced granules that slowly float to the bottom. I think they like this method to eat as well because they can eat all day long at their own pace. I also stuck a long air stone in the middle of the tank to break up each side, that way if they get sick of each other they have somewhere to hide and get away from the other one. Now they are always paired up, I never see them without each other. The little guy is getting bigger, but still not as big as the other one.

I would call your LFS and tell them what is going on so you can get your money back if he does pass, but highly doubt that one will just not eat until he starves unless he/she is already unhealthy if you switch up the eating methods. Give it time, it will work its way out.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
Normally people who keep just two discus have a pair. The problem is that if you look at the photo it is clear we are talking juvies here, and at that size they like to shoal for behavioural and comfort reasons.
Iagree that buying 4 more would be difficult here - the ideal would have been to buy just one or two at 3, 4 inch size as they're much more stable then. But this is all part of the reason the cookbook for normal discus success includes getting 5+, and then you need a 55 jsut for them plus a very few other fish.
It doesn't have so much to do with them being timid, I didn't find discus timid, but they are rough with each other at small sizes. Angels are similar, but have been captive bred for so long it's watered out, ot wasn't so rough in the first place.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Ugh, now you've got discus??? This tank is barely a month old right? There is no way it is done cycling. Discus are very fragile and need stable perfect water conditions. You're stocking is not compatible w/ discus. You gotta stop buying new fish, I know it's addicting, but you're going to be working at a fish store right? Would you suggest someone take home some discus to put in an uncycled community tank w/ a gourami and severum???

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Actually Severums are one of the few recommended tank mates for discus as they are extremely peaceful and pretty calm.

I'm on the same page with everyone else that his problem is stress related. If your temp isn't up to 86 raise it, also adding 1 or 2 more discus will help. However like misfishy pointed out, if your tank is that new it is in no way ready to have discus in it as they require stable conditions that come with having a well seasoned tank.