I'm so stupid!

Cillana

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Louisiana
www.cillana.corydorasworld.com
I was so eager to finally be done cycling my tank (with household ammonia) that I just plopped my fish in without thinking. I did put them in bags and float them for 10 min or so and then gradually add the tank water to the bad to allow for slight temperature and chemical differences. But afterwards I discovered that the tanks that they were coming out of have pHs of 6.0 and 6.4 and the one they went into has a pH of 7.5! It comes out of the tap at 6.8. What makes it change?

Here are the stats of the different tanks:
(populations are from before I moved the fish)

pH: 6.0
size: 20 gallon
filtration: 2 power filters
population: overcrowded
decoration: plastic plants

pH: 6.4
size: 10 gallon
filtration: 1 power filter, 1 sponge filter
population: max
decoration: plastic plants and driftwood

pH: 7.5
size: 55 gallon
filtration: 2 power filters
population: none
decoration: live plants and driftwood

I think I read some where that water with more CO2 is more acidic. If I add an air stone to the 10 and 20 gallon, will the pH gradually go up? As the fish in the 55 breathe, will the pH gradually go down?

The fish seem to be okay, but the ones that I still need to add are more delicate and/or more valuable to me.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Co2 is naturally acidic,and aerating the water would drive the Co2 off raising your Ph levels.
Out of interest what are you using as substrate in the various aquariums.
Water companies also use temporary buffers to alter Ph, which when this has been standing for 24 hours you will get a totally different reading.
Just take a small sample of your tap water, test the Ph,and then again 24 hours later, 8) :eek:

Cillana

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Louisiana
What if I didn't wash the test tube out for 24 hours? Because I did that and it changed color. It reads 7.0 now.

My new tank has up to an inch of vermiculite under the gravel. All my other tanks just have gravel. I read that vermiculite isn't supposed to change pH. I also tested it to make sure.

Also I read that driftwood makes water more acidic. Is that true?

You really should wash out test equipment straight away, and allow to dry.
Bog wood will affect Ph levels, but you would need large amounts to make a significant difference.
If you do not worry about clarity of the water you can use Shagnum moss peat from garden centres,make sure it is pure peat with no additives,fill a filter bag with it and suspend in the tank,or place it in an external filter,this will lower the Ph.
Or alternitavely use rainwater that has been filtered through carbon,do not introduce too much at once or you could give the fish Ph shock. 8)

Cillana

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Louisiana
Okay, I'll wash my test tubes after I'm done from now on. I didn't know it was a problem.

I added an airstone to both of my acidic tanks. My mom bought some peat moss the other day. I'll ask her if I can have some.

Bad news. One of my cories has a red spot over each of his gills and a white bump on the top of his head. Also one of my platies has long white poops. What's wrong with them? What should I do?