Im kind of concerned....

Jan 2, 2018
Well I have my 2 medium size angels and a common plec in my new 55 gallon tank. I just bought 6 golden barbs since they get 3 inches and i wanted a schooling fish. The angels are leaving them alone and everything but when it comes to feeding time... they are always on the bottom of the tank. I have had them in there for a good 24 hours and they swim around and stuff even comming up to the middle and top for a few seconds but right when i open my lid they bolt down and hide under my slate tunnel and the angels gobble up the food. How should I go about feeding these guys? Will they figure it out eventually or what?

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Hi. Funny cause I just picked up 10 of these today. I think the tend to be shy at first. When I introduced mine they seem in a school and later disappeared behind rocks. Wasn't til I fed that they came out eventually. I know they do get used to us feeding and should come after the food. You may need to feed the angels on one side and drop some flakes on the other so they sink.
Also just make sure your temp is stable and hopefully you are cycled or keeping an eye on ammonia, nitrite and nitrates .

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
That's a lot of fish in a brand-new setup. Did you cycle the tank before hand or are using established/seeded filtration media?

I'd re-home the pleco. A common pleco will get a foot long or bigger and needs wood to rasp on.