im going barebottom!!!

stooeygee

Small Fish
Aug 29, 2005
Manchester , England
so im gradually gonna get rid of the gravel in my tank.....a quarter at a time but can anyone advise me over whar period of time.....i dont wanna start a mini-cycle!

cheers
stuey

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
Depends what sort of filter you have really.If it's an external canister type you could get rid of it all in one go.Same applies really if it's an internal canister although I'd probably do it in 2-3 stages to make sure nothing is going to happen.

Under gravel filter......no,I'm not gonna go there.rofl.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
I have a barebottom tank on my 220 gallon and it stays pretty clean - probably because I have dual overflow corners and the fish stir-up any poop so the filter media gets it all.

I would say do 1/2 the gravel now, and another 1/2 in a couple weeks, just to ensure your filter picks-up any missing bio-surface capacity.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Hey Stoo, nice looking ryukus (did I spell that right) very pretty fish. Little tip I can give you. If this is a show tank, or a tank that is out in the open for any quest to see. You may want to get a vac so you can do a quick poo removal if guests are coming over.

It's a great thing to have for bare bottomed tanks you want to clean up a little with out having to drag out buckets, and pythons and go thru the rigors of a water change.

My fav gravel vac is the cheap on that is powered by an airline. I find that it really works well if you have a powerful air pump hooked up to it and replace the net collection bags it comes with for something a little less porous. You should be able to find new bags next to where you find the vac. The battery powered ones do really work the best, but the problem with them is they rust if they get wet. Yeah that burnt me up. How is a company gonna make something that is meant to be placed inside a tank, but it dies if it gets wet..go figure. I went thru 3 battery ones before I decided to give the elcheapo model a try.