Identity? Half BN Half ...?

Dan Steveo

Large Fish
Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
Hello all, i am going to attempt to put up a photo of my new pleco, i've had him/her a week or so now, he/she has a quicker growth rate than the other BN's i think, The guy in the shop said a woman brought in the batch and said they were crossed between something like a whiptail (he said she didn't really know) andything in these pics give away an exact description of the missing half?

Thanks Guys.

Hope this pic works.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
hey I can't tell from this post, (plecos are my passion) I would post to plane catfish and they will ID real fast.

Has the head shape of a bushy but who the heck knows, bushys tend to grow pretty fast tho :) So I wouldn't worry too much about growth rate, although whips get sorta big. Who knows.. post on planet cat and let me know :)

Dan Steveo

Large Fish
Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
ok will do, I hope they'll find out.. Very pretty when i compare him to the BN's He's the same shape but his skin/scales look smoother and it's a nice dark brown.. just works for me somehow.. he's my special lil boy haha =]

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
so did they reply to your post? Don't feel bad if they give you a hard time about having a mixed breed pleco. It's just how the community is, they see that in the same way this forum sees bala sharks and common plecos

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
yeah i am guessing the "cross" is just color variety

like albino and brown or red and black he is a cute little bugger

he is probably growing faster then the others you have had in the past because your tank probably has better parameters or you have better food etc

hey did i share this link on bulk food with you? order some if you can you will really like it :) i like the mixed tropical flake and the sinking pellets myself Fish Food - Your Fish Flakes - Your Fish Stuff Store

it is far better then anything i have found at a fish store the flakes are huge and they don't break down or make my tank all nasty if you look at the break down on them they don't have any ask i order the cichlid pellets for the plecos i know folks who love the brine shrimp pellets for their plecos too but my cichlids are big enough to carry those so they don't work as well for me

Dan Steveo

Large Fish
Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
cool, thanks i'll check it out... And with his growth, he seems to be growing quicker than the other 3 Bn's i got at the same time as him, and same size they were also.

Maybe that's another variation or he just eats a lot lol.