ID question

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
My skirt tetra, who happens to be albino, has fins like that, and I spent a while convincing myself it was a different type of fish because of the fins. I second the notion that those are great looking fish.

Oct 15, 2008
Kure Beach, NC
Sure!
74 gallon, gravel substrate, fake log and a few other things for hidey holes, lucky bamboo plants, fake plants.
2 Black Skirts
2 LonfFin Black Skirts
2 Balloon Molly (Poecilia latipinna)
3 Calico Fantail Goldfish (Carassius auratus auratus)
2 Pleco (Hypostomus punctatusare)
4 Tiger Barb (Puntius tetrazona)
1 Common Goldfish (Carassius auratus auratus)

And yes, I know I have lots of partial waer changes in my future, especially with the addition to the barbs.
Barb

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
Interesting combination, I would probably lose the goldfishes as they require so much room and are huge waste producers. Also I believe that the goldfish are cold water fish and aren't a great match with your warmer water fish. In regards to water changes like you said you will need to do significant water (30% or more) changes biweekly. What type of filter are you using?

These are just my thoughts....no offense is meant!

Oct 15, 2008
Kure Beach, NC
No offense taken. I will probably move the goldfish into another tank in about two months.
We have two fantail goldfish in our pond and they come in when it starts to get colder. I know they would be fine, but my hubby likes to watch them over the winter. All the goldfish will go into their own tank, leaving the others by themselves.
As far as filtration, I'm using a Tetra Whisper, sized for my tank.
Barb

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I would probably get an over sized filter just to help with the filtration while everyone is housed over the winter.

I know on another forum someone put their goldfish in a kiddy pool in their basement or spare room because goldfish don't mind cool temperatures. Just a thought (maybe I can find the thread). If your 2 fantail's live in the pond during the fall/spring/summer were do the other goldfish usually live?

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
Found the other thread I was talking about.
If you can seperate the tropicals from the comets, it will be easier to overwinter the comets. Cooler water will keep the water cleaner as their metabolism slows.

I have a friend up in your neck of the woods that keeps his in a small 'kiddie pool' with a net covering it (to prevent jumpers) in the basement, and keeps the temp in the 50s. With the water that cool, the metabolism slows considerably, and they only eat 2 or 3 times a month. He got the 'instructions' from his vet who is a fishkeeper too, and its worked for years for him. Some of his fish are 30+cm!
Plus the link: http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/freshwater-beginner-information-questions/62001-my-calculations-correct.html

Oct 15, 2008
Kure Beach, NC
Oops!:eek:
Hit send too early! Here's the rest of my reply....

Now they're getting bigger. The only reason they're in the aquarium and not the pond with the other fantails is my husband likes to watch them. I'm going to put the common goldfish out in the pond today, that will help. Really don't know why I didn't do it before. Guess it's a good thing y'all got me thinking about where all these guys are living!

Barb

Oct 15, 2008
Kure Beach, NC
OK, don't know what happened.....*ALL*
The calico's are in the aquarium and not the pond with the other goldfish because my husband likes to watch them. We got them in the spring, so they've been in the aquarium the whole time we've had them.
I have a different tank for the goldfish (1 common, 2 orange fantails and 3 calico fantails) to overwinter in. At that point, the 75g tank will have:
2 placos
2 balloon mollys
2 black skirts
2 long finned black skirts
7-10 tiger barb's. I have 4 now, but know I'll need more to keep them happy.
I just checked out Aqadvisor.com. Yep, I'm overstocked! I tried playing with different numbers of fish and think I might want to go with:
2 placos (I know they're going to outgrow the tank, but they're small now)
7-10 tiger barbs,
a total of 5 black & long finned black skirts,
2 balloon molly's.
Barb

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
You can keep the goldfish outside during the winter if your pond is large enough. I have a friend who has a pond with a de-icer and as long as she drills a hole in the ice, her fish are fine. It's not a good idea to place cold water fish and warm water fish in the same tank, especially when the tank is so small for that many fish. Your goldfish will cause a massive ammonia spike and kill all the other fish.
Do not add any plecos or anything until your tank cycles. Do you own a liquid test kit? Can you post your specific readings for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite? It's not good to add any fish that will potentially outgrow your tank. You might be able to add one pleco, if you don't have too many other fish and your tank is cycled.

Get rid of the calico goldifish. Your pond seems fairly stocked with the goldfish you have already.

Oct 15, 2008
Kure Beach, NC
I'm not going to keep the goldfish in the same tank with the other fish. And will probably keep them in the pond, it doesn't get cold enough here to cause the water in the pond to freeze. The pond right now only has two fantails and one common goldfish. With the addition of the three calicos, the 150 gallon pond won't be overstocked.
I have been keeping track of water quality, harness, pH, etc.
Barb

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Can you post your specific readings for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite in the 75 gallon tank? If all your readings are 0, that is not a good sign. Readings of 0 for ammonia and nitrite are great, but a 0 reading of nitrate means your tank is not cycled and unsafe toxins are poisoning your fish.

Oct 15, 2008
Kure Beach, NC
Update!
Goldfish and warm water fish were separated as suggested in mid-October. Now the three common and fantail goldfish are in the pond but I brought the calico's inside where they're in their own tank next to the other tank about a month ago.
Everyone seems to be happy. including my husband, who gets to watch the goldfish all winter.
Barb

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Many years ago when I was a kid (late 50's) a pond in the neighborhood had frozen solid. (It was too shallow) You could see goldfish frozen in the ice. The owner allowed me to chip out a couple of blocks of ice with goldfish frozen within. I put them in a bucket of water and they began to swim about after the ice melted. Do not know if there was any long term effect. We put the back in the pond when the ice melted.

Oct 15, 2008
Kure Beach, NC
Update on my tanks. I did put the three calico goldfish out into the pond in September, so that there are only tropicals in my 75g aquarium now. *thumbsups
When it got colder, my husband wanted me to bring all my goldfish in and put them on a tank next to the 75g. The one we have is far too small for all the goldfish, so the three calicos came in and are residing in a 20g tank, the others stayed in the pond. *GOLDFISH*
So far, everybody's happy, including my husband who gets to watch the calicos from the comfort of our heated sun room.
Hope everybody's doing well and Merry Christmas! *celebrate
Barb