Ick Clear? or does it? Products that work????

Mar 26, 2005
Wa. State
Posted this at that OTHER forum spot too...just covering my bases:

K. I'm at a loss. I've tried Ick Clear by Tank Buddies. ClearAway by some unknown label company...salt...temp...water changes...25% after the third day of treatment...then another 25% on the fourth treatment...on the seventh day (sound familiar? It would TAKE that kind of miracle to get rid of this crap!) I dosed my tank with the last dose, waited another 24 hours, then did a 50% water change + a new filter. To know avail.

Sooo...

If there IS an "ich slayer" out there, please, PLEASE do share your everlasting success with me.

I've also have had a hard-knock-around bout with blurry eye on all of my marble and dalmatian sailfin mollies...E.M. Tablets by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (200 mg tablet of Erythomycin x 4 day regimen). Plus, the whole water change schedule...ya-dah, ya-dah. Now my fish have the blurries in BOTH eyes, including bulging snow-white pupils.

Bad fish? New filter (these did come with the garden variety 29 gal. tank kit I purchased from Wal-Mart)? Big sleep (for fish, not me...well, at this point, anything's possible)?

SML.
(aka: SodeeMama/Liz or Some-might-live...whatever. It's late.)

foty89

Medium Fish
Mar 1, 2005
Binghamton, New York
Just from the description of the treatments you have so far tried, I would say that your fish are now suffering from fairly severe suppressed immune systems.

I have a stupid question for you, did you take the activated carbon out of your filter when treating? This would be the filter bag or frame in most hanging filters.

What do you have in this tank?

I have always found malachite green to be very effective on ick and common fungus problems. There are also dual agent formulations that are very effective too. Just read some labels and you will find it.

I am not overly optimistic about the survival of your fish right now, they seem to have been through a lot, but give it your best effort and hope for the best and hopefully they all make it.

foty89

Medium Fish
Mar 1, 2005
Binghamton, New York
On a related note, if you are buying your fish from Wal-Mart, I would start looking for a good local fish store, LFS for short. I would venture to guess that your problems may have started with fish from Wal-Mart.

The thing you have to understand about Wal-Mart is that they are not a pet store, let alone a fish store. Generally speaking, the people in charge of the fish do not have much experience and don't have the best setup either.

This can often lead to fish that are sick when you get them, even if they don't show it. You bring them home, put them in the tank and then all your fish are sick.

So start looking at the LFS's in your area and find a good one that you can trust and get your fish from there. They will also be able to test your water for you and tell you if there is a problem there.

How long has the tank been setup and do you do water tests?

angel51431

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2003
NYC
shellvergel.blogspot.con
I have used IckClear by Jungle and have actually had very good results. I got an outbreak of ick in my tiger barbs out of nowhere from a fish that was in the tank for two days, and nothing would make it go away until I tried the Ick clear fizzy tabs stuff. I guess it depends on the fish and the tank conditions though.

schwartzy

Small Fish
Jan 23, 2005
Visit site
table salt and slowly raising the temp to 86 for 2 weeks after spots are gone is what worked for me. @ diff ick mediactions after immediate noticing of spots killed first my scaless than some of my others. Ick after that- 1 tablespoon of non-iodized salt per 5 gallons with no water changes for 2 weeks after spots are gone and keeping table salt in my tank at all times is what this cat will swear by. I am a noob trust me, just telling you what worked for me. I hope you can save your fish. This website is awesome by the way. I was inches from a sledge hammer to my 45 gallon during my never ending fishless cycle because I wasn't dechlorinating my water-lol. Bio-spira is the bomb!!!!!!!!!!

Joe

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Take a look at Kordon's Rid-Ich+. No copper, safe for plants, scaleless fish, and bacterial colonies, no need to increase temp, broad spectrum. Is a dual agent containing malachite green. Very effective if you follow the directions to the letter.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
It has been said that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Ick cannot come out of the air, so if you have and use a quarantine tank, you will never have ick in your main tank again.