I thing my Betta is sick...PLEASE HELP!

Sep 11, 2006
I've had my Betta now for over a year. His name is Pendleton and I've never had a problem with him before. However, recently he has gotten these small pimple-like spots near his head and on his fins. He started out with two...one near his head on his left side and one on his lip. Then, another one popped up on the other side of his head in the same spot as the other. Then I noticed he had similar spots on his side fins. Now, he has them on his back and a couple on his stomach. I do not believe it is ich because these spots are too big and are raised. I thought they might be ulcers but now it seems like there are too many. I visited my local pet store and they gave me Aquarisol, however, it doesn't seem to really be working anymore (it helped the first time I gave it to my fish, but now it doesn't help much). I've researched different diseases it could be and I'm wondering if it is cotton-wool disease, however it doesn't fit the normal description of "wool-like" material hanging off my fish. I'm at a complete loss of what to think and do. That's why I just joined this site. I need help. My fish means a lot to me because my boyfriend won him for me. So he is really special. Someone please help. If a picture will help a diagnosis, I'm willing to send one. PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE OUT WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY BETTA! I'm at a loss. Thank you. :)

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
well, sounds like ich to me, but we need water parameters and size and temp of tank. ich can be raised, (in my experience with it) aquarium salt works good for ich during its free swimming stage. please say all the information possible to help us properly digonose the fishy. :D

Sep 11, 2006
Katie217 said:
well, sounds like ich to me, but we need water parameters and size and temp of tank. ich can be raised, (in my experience with it) aquarium salt works good for ich during its free swimming stage. please say all the information possible to help us properly digonose the fishy. :D
honestly, this is my first betta and, even after having him for a year, i'm just learning now that there is a lot more to it than just cleaning the tank and feeding him. i didnt realize temperature and water testing was important so i don't have that information. sorry :-( my tank, however, is just under 2 gallons.

if it is ich, how big can the spots get? because they arent small like a grain of salt. they are slightly larger but not too much bigger. from pictures i've looked at of ich infections, the spots are really tiny. based on that, i'd say my fish's spots are twice the size of those. can it still be ich?

Sep 11, 2006
alright the picture is kind of blurry but you can still see the spots i'm talking about...the spots seen in the picture are also on the other side of his body and some on his fins (althought the ones on his fins aren't as pronounced and don't appear raised)...hope it helps...

Sep 11, 2006
Lotus said:
It's definitely not ich.

I think you should try some Pimafix for a week and see how he does with it. It's a gentle med, but works on most bacterial diseases.

How often have you been doing water changes?
I used to do water changes every couple weeks to once a month. now i'm trying to change it more often.

where can you get Pimafix? and what is it?

i have Aquarisol. will that help at all?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If he's in a 2 gallon (or less) tank, you should probably do weekly 100% water changes for his best health, and make sure you are cleaning the gravel, too. Buildup of waste can really harm a betta.

Pimafix is a herbal-based medication for fish. You should be able to find it at most pet or fish stores.

I wouldn't use the Aquarisol. It's quite strong, and can kill a fish in a weakened state.

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
yeah doesnt look like ich now that i see it, its too large. and just doesnt look right. primafix is awesome, i use it. and like lotus said, in a tank that small, water changes must happen weekly

Sep 11, 2006
Lotus said:
If he's in a 2 gallon (or less) tank, you should probably do weekly 100% water changes for his best health, and make sure you are cleaning the gravel, too. Buildup of waste can really harm a betta.

Pimafix is a herbal-based medication for fish. You should be able to find it at most pet or fish stores.

I wouldn't use the Aquarisol. It's quite strong, and can kill a fish in a weakened state.
i'll definitely look for the pimafix.

the guy at the pet store recommended the aquarisol in small amounts. he wasn't 100% positive what could be wrong with my betta so that's why he gave us aquarisol, since it treats a broad spectrum of things. but i noticed that it treats fungus, not bacterial infections.

does it look bacterial to you? i don't have much experience with this so i trust you :)

Sep 11, 2006
now i'm confused. should i try treating my fish daily with the aquarisol i have at my house for now? and if he doesnt improve, should i get the pimafix? i have no idea what would be best. would the pimafix cure fungal AND bacterial infections?...since we're not sure which one it is

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Fungal infections are very rare in aquariums. While some people may think it looks like fungus they see on food, it's more likely it's a bacterial infection. The sure sign of a fungal infection is grey threads. To be honest, without a scrape and examination under a microscope, you can't tell bacterial from fungal infections.

However, as bacterial infections are much more common, it's a safe bet to say that it's bacterial. Pimafix will treat both fungal and bacterial infections.

Sep 11, 2006
Lotus said:
Fungal infections are very rare in aquariums. While some people may think it looks like fungus they see on food, it's more likely it's a bacterial infection. The sure sign of a fungal infection is grey threads. To be honest, without a scrape and examination under a microscope, you can't tell bacterial from fungal infections.

However, as bacterial infections are much more common, it's a safe bet to say that it's bacterial. Pimafix will treat both fungal and bacterial infections.
thank you so much. the information you just gave me is a HUGE help. i really really appreciate it. *SUPERSMIL