I need some help...:)

Aug 29, 2010
Hello All,

I fot these four fish from my neighbor and don't know what thy are? Also I have a 30 gallon and a 10 gallon tank and here is the fish I have:
2 guaramis (one is blue and one is bright orange)
2 goldfish (one is black Moore and other is a bright orange goldfish- forgot actual name)
2 algae eaters ( not sure of type)
1 mature angelfish
1 white small fish ~ can send pic ~ need to find out what it is
4 very small fish ~ can send pic ~ need to find out what they are

What I need to know is which ones to put in the 29 gallon tank and which ones to put in th 10 gallon tank. Note: the angelfish and the small white one and the four very small ones came from my neighbors tank and find out what kind of fish the smaller white one resembles a gourami and the smallest ones are are all the same with clear bodies but orangish bellies with black spots on their top clear fin.

P.S. The (1) angelfish, (1)small white fish and the (4) very small fishies all came out of the SAME tank at my neighbor's house.

Thanks a bunch.*thumbsup2

Thank u kindly... Erin

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Get rid of the goldfish and the angelfish. First off, goldfish are not tropical fish and need their own tank of 60-200 gallons or more, depending on what species of goldfish you have. Angelfish need a tall 55 gallon tank; they cannot live in a small 29 gallon, even if they are small for now. Now, the algae eaters can be a huge problem. Please post a picture, as some species require 55-75 gallons of water. Get rid of one of the gouramis. It is hard to determine their genders, and two males can fight to the death. Please post the photos of the unknown fish. Your tanks have not been cycled and will never go through the nitrogen cycle with that many fish. Please sell the fish I have mentioned above and read about fish-in cycles. You will need to buy a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Liquid test kits are vital to keeping fish and they are as important as the fish tank itself.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I would suspect this post is in the wrong forum and should be in beginners discussion??

the common rule of thumb is 20G for the 1st goldfish and 10G for another one so the goldfish should be fine in the 30G, is the 30G a tall tank or long tank. a longer tank would be better.

As for the gouramis I will agree with littletankbigworld, you most likely have a powder blue and a flame gourami both of which are males of the same species just different color phases. The females are very plain in color so not often seen in most stores. The males may fight until one is dead.

I think you would be fine with an angel fish in a 29 or 30 as long as they are tall tanks but angels are not my specialty but I dont think a 55 is needed.

As for the algae eaters and the other small fish you cant identify please post pictures so someone can ID them and give you some better advice.

Welcome to the tank

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
I would suspect this post is in the wrong forum and should be in beginners discussion??

the common rule of thumb is 20G for the 1st goldfish and 10G for another one so the goldfish should be fine in the 30G, is the 30G a tall tank or long tank. a longer tank would be better.

As for the gouramis I will agree with littletankbigworld, you most likely have a powder blue and a flame gourami both of which are males of the same species just different color phases. The females are very plain in color so not often seen in most stores. The males may fight until one is dead.

I think you would be fine with an angel fish in a 29 or 30 as long as they are tall tanks but angels are not my specialty but I dont think a 55 is needed.

As for the algae eaters and the other small fish you cant identify please post pictures so someone can ID them and give you some better advice.

Welcome to the tank
Hey, Erin, welcome. Please take pics of all your fish so we can help ID them. Bad news, from the sounds of what you do have, you should be prepared to rehome some of them.

Brian - agreed, this should continue in a different discussion group. And regarding the angel, if the angelfish is indeed a mature one as Erin describes, then no, a 30g will be too small. Depends on what 'mature' means, but eventually an angel, even a single one, will get too big for a 30g.