I need a good test kit

May 4, 2011
Ohio
Looking at the API Master kit from Petsmart as it is the only test kit that does not use strips, is there another option or better one I am not aware of? I plan on planting and using root tabs in my TMS but I don't need it to be a underwater garden wonder, just a few plants. Mostly looking to test the nitrogen cycle and MAYBE ph in the future, got strips for that and it seems fine.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I think the general consensus on strips is that they're not accurate, but I don't really know if that's true or not. I've also read that liquid test kits are wildly inaccurate, so who knows.

As for the liquid test kit, the API one is the only one I've ever heard of that sells them all together, but I never really looked that hard for an alternative.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
In the long run the API master kit is cheaper. Make sure you get the one for Freshwater. Sometimes they are placed side by side and look the same except for the word "Marine" (and probably salt water someplace) but it would be easy to grab the wrong one.

Jan 6, 2009
Western Australia
I use the API freshwater master kit i would go with that one, i find it realy good and easy to use. And if you run out of something or break the glass tubes (which i seem to do being so clumbsy) the replacements are eaasy to find i just ordered spare test tubes online! :)

fhk9

New Fish
May 22, 2011
API for freshwater and Salifert saltwater I have use few years.
some of the instruction are bit confuse, when use and try few you will get it.*BOUNCINGS