I have fry what do I do

jo2010

New Fish
May 18, 2011
Hi my molly have had fry but I am unsure what to do, years ago the same thing happened and I took the babies and placed them in a floating baby tank as soon as I noticed but lost them all, this time I have noticed at least 5 babies swimming behind the pump and they are being guarded by three larger mollies, do I need to separate them or is it best to leave them where they are?

webgeek

Small Fish
Feb 9, 2011
Yup. U need to keep the fry separate from the adults or else they will attempt to eat them if the babies fit to their mouth. Retain the same water as in the main tank. Feed the babies with powedered flake. Feed the mother (And the mollies) well for they will be enormously hungry. Look out carefully if there are more fry.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
If there are enough hiding places - little plant mats, etc. some of the fry will survive. Mollies and platies don't seem to be quite as aggressive when it comes to their young as compared to some fish like angels. I have had both mollies and platies survive, but probably only a small percent. The problem is, if they all survived, what will you do with 20 -40 fish??