I got discus!!!!!!!!!!

I currently have 3 discus in my 55gal and i am wanting to add some more fish to it. Here is what i am thinking.

4 discus(add 1 more)
8-10 cardinal tetras
2 keyhole cichlids

Would this work with the keyholes or no? I am also thinking of adding a pair of Cockatoo apistos instead of the keyholes. And with the tetras, i have seen alot of tanks with discus in them also have cardinals, should i stick to them or is there another tetra i should get??

sphed

Large Fish
Feb 14, 2007
Man im trying to help you nothing seems to get through to you.

Why not take out your substrate and the plants. It looks ugly and you have a java fern planted in the substrate, something even the average fishkeeper knows not to do. The biggest thing about discus is keeping their water clean. Every picture I see your water is a dirty yellow. I dont know if its your digi cam but it seems you tend to neglect your water. The main reason discus are so challenging is because of the constant water changes. The discus you in your pics is horribly stunted. Just look at its ventrils, they are not growing one bit.

Why do you have to attack me? If you read my last post i moved them into my 55gal and those are old pics of when one was in one of my 30gals. I had light coming in from my window that was hitting the tank, the water is just fine. I don't ignore changing water!! I do 40% changes 2x a week. I have studied discus for a while and now know what im doing. Obvioulsy you have something against me still so im going to ask if you do not post in ANY of my threads. And if you noticed i mixed the substrate with eco-complete.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
i would pass on the keyholes. they seemed to pick on my discus and actually all of fish sometimes

and odd numbers seem to do better when their aggression and dominace is all spread out. something to think about.

and java ferns can be plants in the substrate for people who think not...they just tend to grow a bit slower, but it doesnt hurt the plant at all. and having a BB tank is more for breeders or someone who want large show breed discus. it just makes it easier to clean up after feeding throughout the day.

HAAA

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2008
Inland Empire
great fish i always wished i had a big tank with a bunch of discus but yours is looking pretty good and alway try try again and always ask questions even if they sound stupid

great fish i always wished i had a big tank with a bunch of discus but yours is looking pretty good and alway try try again and always ask questions even if they sound stupid
Thanks HAAA!!!!! :D i have some more pictures with the two new guys and the other one in my 55gal but im having problems uploading them onto my computer lol. But keep an eye on this thread cause ill be posting alot of pics this weekend when i go to get one more!!!*BOUNCINGS

innerchi89

Small Fish
Mar 29, 2008
TX
ahhh, i have an empty 50 gallon tank and my fish store is selling some nice 2.5 inch discus for 20 apiece! i have no money until thursday, and i know they will be gone by then because this guy bought two when i was looking at them :(