I don't know when to put my Swordtail into the breeder.

Dec 14, 2011
WI
My female Swordtail is obviously pregnant, but I don't know when to expect her to drop her fry. I've read about it and looked at dozens of pictures, but I think that the best way for an amateur to know for sure is if someone tells them. I currently only have one female, because the other died during a massive fish death a few weeks ago. She gets chased around constantly by the male, and I don't really know what to do for her. I have an occupied QT, but no breeding tank. I do, however, have a breeder. She was young when I got her, and she's still not full grown, so I'm guessing this is her first pregnancy.

[video=youtube;eDfV9L-MHRg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eDfV9L-MHRg[/video]

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
IMO, putting a pregnant fish in a breeder box is a huge stressor and can lead to miscarriage or death. If you are worried about her getting harassed by your male, try adding a clump of fine-leaved plants for her to hide in - it will double as a hiding place for the fry when they are born. A tangle of hornwort would be perfect.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
If you absolutely CAN NOT get any plants, the best time to put her in there is right before or during birth, and take her out right after.

You can tell if she's about to give birth when her gravid spot turns very dark and you can see the fry's eyes, and when her vent is looking slightly square.

Feb 27, 2009
In my experience, the stress of moving a livebearer just before or during birth will more than likely result in her death, sometimes before and sometimes after she has completed her delivery.

If the OP wants to save as many fry as possible, and if no plants (real or artifical) can be added, another option is to put several rocks leaned against each other and with small crevices they fry can retreat to. Anyplace they can swim into that an adult could not. You must be very careful if you need to move these rocks later so that you do not crush the fry that may be under them.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
It looks like you aren't too far from Dodgeville and there is a Walmart there. (You have to understand - we here don't consider 30 miles very far as that is just a normal driving distance to a grocery store). Also if there are any craft stores around Plattsville they might have some artificial greenery (silk plants) that you could use.

Dec 14, 2011
WI
I commute to the university in Platteville, and there's a Walmart there as well. I'm too low on funds to buy any sort of thing, however. It's expensive to drive my car and I'm an unemployed college student. I don't have a lot of options.

Last edited:

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
*sings* I see AquaSafe!!!!!! lol!! I now have a "safe zone" for my fry. I keep my female in the main tank, but sectioned off a bit with a TON of Java Moss. I'm finding a lot of babies there, especially Guppies. They're smart enough to go through the type 7 mesh and go to safety. I'm guessing that I have a lot of Infusoria growing there too, because I don't feed them, yet they're growing insanely fast.

Dec 14, 2011
WI
She dropped her fry while I was away this weekend. My mother must not have noticed because she didn't mention it to me. I don't see any in the tank, so I'm not sure if any of them survived. If they have, when should I expect to see them swimming in the tank? How long until the adult fish stop snacking on them?