I decided i want to have a planted tank. But i have a problem...

MyFishyTank

Medium Fish
Apr 13, 2011
Hey guys, i decided i wanted to change my freshwater fish tank with fake plants and some guppies into a real planted tank. My problem is, is that i already have water in it and the gravel is in it. So i have no clue what to do because i know that i need to add some soil. Should i maybe put the other fish in a heated container or somthing. Because im guessing i will need to take out the gravel and add the soil and then add the gravel again lol. I am confusing myself typing this, i hope i dont confuse you. XD

Please help and give me some ideas on some plants and equipment.

My new tank is a 20 Gallon bowfront tank, and i wish to add plants to it as you can see lol.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Soil is not necessary in order to have plants. I have several varaties of plants rooted in a gravel only substrate and have grown plants this way many times. Some plants like my amazon sword do better in gravel with an occasional plant tab in the gravel near the roots.

May 4, 2011
Ohio
Look around at many plant types not all need soil. All you really need if you want plants that root is substrate that will not compress and choke the roots and a way of fertilizing them be it root tabs or liquid or CO2. Keep in mind some plants do not need anything other than fish waste, java moss, moss balls, anacharis, hornwort, christmas moss, java fern, and anubias to name a few.

If you are going to add soil, it would be best to remove the gravel and put the soil underneath. You can remove half the gravel on one side and add soil, then switch but the water gets very murky and you couldn't see through it very well. Your fish will be ok most likely, about as stressful as a water change with you putting your hands in there and messing with the water, I heard that although it gets very muddy looking and dirty the fish are completely fine and even comfortable in the water where they can't see very well. The water will also clear sometime within a few hours to a few days.

Adding soil will make the plant care much easier but it just isn't required especially if you go for a plant I listed. Although most are floating plants they can be planted or weighted to stay on the bottom and grow upwards, and they are real cheap so that is a plus :D.

Feb 27, 2009
Thanks for the information, I might add some soil to make my life easier :)
I would not recommend putting soil in the aquarium under the gravel while its occupied with fish. The ammonia spike you will get when the soil begins to decompose will be high for a bit until the plants can consume it (or the biological filter). Research the "Walstad" method for more precise info on a soil based planted tank.