I can't describe these suction cups without swearing

May 6, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Visit site
The suction cups that come with energy intensive objects like my filter and CO2 ladder you could mount a bear to the wall with but these thermo and bubble wall cups won't stay on even without any water in the tank. Anyone have any old fish tales to tell about sticking a suction cup to the tank. As it stands I'm contemplating the virtues of honey...

TurbineSurgeon

Superstar Fish
Feb 27, 2004
Dallas, TX
Visit site
Yeah, it amazes me the difference in quality of those little suckers. I don't know any real tricks to make bad suction cups go good, but I sometimes dig through my "Miscellaneous Aquarium Stuff" boxes (that's how they are labelled, by the way) and change out thick and stiff suction cups with some that are thinner and more flexible.

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
this is something I never seem to have enough of. good quality suction cups. the Eheim ones seem to work quite well. (all of mine are Eheim). the ones that come with Hagen products seem to become hard quite quickly

a hard suction cup is one that wont work... it has to be supple so it can suck itself to the glass. preferaably try and do it underwater with some air stuck under the cup. squeeze as much air as you can out. the suction cup is actually held to the glass by a vaccuum.

I seem to know way to much about suction cups and it is beginning to frighten me.

Jan 27, 2004
Nipomo CA
I once(well twice) put suction cups from my filter on my forehead and left them there for about ten minutes. Well needless to say I went in for a job interview with large round hikkies(idk how to spell it the things your parents find on your neck aftermaking out) True story

May 6, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Visit site
Ok, they sat in the tank in open air for two days. The tank has been full for just as long. They don't show any signs that they'll be coming off soon. Since a friend told me that they'd only make it ten minutes in her tank regularly and I know that they couldn't go much long on dry glass, I think I have found the answer.

Feb 25, 2004
Florence, AL
Visit site
haha seamonkey, that sounds like something i would do!

my only problem with suction cups has been with the heater on my 5g...the top of the tank has that little rim, and the heater isnt submersible, so i have to slide the heater down past the rim so the cups can reach the side of the tank. so that means i have to keep the water level low enough, which means the water splashes out of the HOB filter quite loudly.

you know, thats not really a problem with the suction cups, is it?

cramerox

Small Fish
Dec 26, 2002
Bay Area Callifornia
Visit site
I've had very good luck with silicon based suction cups. Through my experience no suction cups last a life time. Water and light deteriorates them and having them half submerged will screw them up even more. They get hard, they rip, they flip inside out. Its never ending. I just keep a few on hand...My heater just hangs now ;)

styxx1

Large Fish
Jul 1, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
Somonas, don't worry, we all know about suction in some for or another (who out there hasn't had to do a little suction now and then...in their tank)...I can't stand these things but then again, I have a submersible heater and it has to be fixed someplace. I usually just keep a couple on hand for when the ones I have eventually give out.

I tend to agree with Cramerox, though...silicon does seem to last longer and hold the vacum seal better, IMHO.