How's this light?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
co2 injection an SAEs kept my tank algae free.
BN plecos are decent for types of film algaes, but otos can do the same as mentioned.
SAEs are still better imo, buy them small - very effective when small but even at 4" mine were keeping the tank clean (that's after 1.5years).

If you are referring to my avatar photo, that tank mostly had Val plants, some java ferns on driftwood, water lettuce at the surface, and dwarf sag as ground cover.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
The beamswork ~35watt, 72LED 6500K fixture I have feels as warm, if not warmer than my 2-tube 48" T5HO fluorescent. The 15VDC power supply (on the floor) gets very warm to the touch. I'm not sure how this will effect things in the heat of the summer given my home has no a/c. That's how I would make the yes/no fan determination.

Feb 27, 2009
Ahhh I guess I was confused by the day/night timings.
Day/night timings on lights are usually for reefs. What are you running as far as lights at night?

For plants, as mentioned, lights 24/7 is never a good idea. Algae will most certainly be a big issue and any plant needs a 'night' or rest period to grow properly. Without it, they will eventually die.

Dec 14, 2011
WI
Currently I'm not running any lights at night for any particular duration of time. The lunar settings threw me off on these LED fixtures that I've been looking at. What are they used for in Freshwater tanks?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
in FW i can't see any use for moonlights for most commonly kept fish. i haven't even heard of a FW fish yet that needs a specific day/night cycle to induce breeding.