How to compare water colour to chart

ducks_137

Medium Fish
Dec 14, 2003
ajax, ontario
Visit site
I got a test kit to check out the Ammoia, where I had to take a sample of the tank water, then add droplets of "Reagents" (3 different types). I then had to wait a certain time for a certain colour to appear. In this case my colour turned green.

The problem is I don't know how to compare the water sample colour to the chart.

On the left side of the chart, it says pH with a range of 6.0 to 8.6. And along the bottom of the chart, it says "Test-kit results, NH3/NH4 mg/L (ppm)" with a range of 1.2 to 7.3

So question is, how do I decipher it?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The NH3/NH4 is the ammonia reading. The colors along the bottom should have a color to match the color in the test tube to. There should be a number next to that color, which is your ammonia ppm and mg/l.

Does that answer your question?

ducks_137

Medium Fish
Dec 14, 2003
ajax, ontario
Visit site
Originally posted by Lotus
The NH3/NH4 is the ammonia reading. The colors along the bottom should have a color to match the color in the test tube to. There should be a number next to that color, which is your ammonia ppm and mg/l.

Does that answer your question?
Hey, sorry but it doesn't really answer my question. The brand I'm using is Nutrafin. I guess what I'm really asking is how do I know what the Nh3/Nh4 and pH readings are?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Can you tell us what the readings are?

I'm really not sure what you're asking. Are you having problems reading the values on the chart, or knowing what those values mean to your tank?

Ammonia should be at 0 in a cycled tank.

pH will generally be what comes out of your tap.

ducks_137

Medium Fish
Dec 14, 2003
ajax, ontario
Visit site
Originally posted by Lotus
Can you tell us what the readings are?

I'm really not sure what you're asking. Are you having problems reading the values on the chart, or knowing what those values mean to your tank?

Ammonia should be at 0 in a cycled tank.

pH will generally be what comes out of your tap.
Well, there are actually 2 charts, one of which is a colour strip. The colour that is in the test tube is a light green/yellowish colour, and according to the colour strip, it would be between 0 and 0.1 mg/L

Then there's that second chart which I talked about earlier, and that I can't figure out how to read, nor do I know what the values mean.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Did you follow the instructions carefully? There should be two separate tests: one for ph and one for Ammonia (NH3). I don't think you should be doing both tests in the same tube at the same time.

Maybe go back and read the instructions to see if you did something wrong.

I just went to the Hagen Web site, and apparently sometimes there is a problem reading the results under certain lights. You can either try going outside in daylight or maybe try a room with a flourescent light and see if that helps.

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Sounds like a wierd chart (the one you're talking about in your first post that you can't figure out what it means) Lotus is totally right...your ammonia test kit doesn't test pH, so I'm not sure how it can be on the same chart. As far as I know they're not related in any way.

If your ammonia chart says its 0-.1 ppm (mg/l) then thats your ammonia reading...

ducks_137

Medium Fish
Dec 14, 2003
ajax, ontario
Visit site
Yes, there's that coloured strip which says 0-.1 ppm, and then there's another chart that mentions pH. And the instruction book makes no mention of this chart.

Originally posted by FroggyFox
Sounds like a wierd chart (the one you're talking about in your first post that you can't figure out what it means) Lotus is totally right...your ammonia test kit doesn't test pH, so I'm not sure how it can be on the same chart. As far as I know they're not related in any way.

If your ammonia chart says its 0-.1 ppm (mg/l) then thats your ammonia reading...

Aug 19, 2003
Visit site
the one you shows in that link is just a straight ammonia test kit. Says nothing about PH in that link. Are you sure you dont have an extra set of instructions that came with it by mistake. PH should not be included in that Box.

Vancouver

Small Fish
Feb 25, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
I have a similar test. Essentially your Ammonia levels measure differently depending on the PH level of the water in your tank, thus the two different color bars. If you know what your PH is then us the appropriate color bar. You may be able to get your PH level from your LFS if you don't want to shell out the extra $ for the PH test kit. If you have the PH test kit then run that test, get the level, see if your PH falls into the high or low PH range and then compare the Ammonia test results against the appropriate color strip.

I hope that my explaination isn't too hard to understand and let me know if you need any additional information. Once you have your PH tested it shouldn't change too much so if you can I would save the $ on the PH test and get your LFS to do it for you every couple of months.

Cheers
Mike

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Oh very cool Vancouver. Just by looking at the level...does that mean that the substance that measures the ammonia reacts to different pH, or that the ammonia level is actually 'higher' if you have a different pH? Where's a chemist when you need one? GOMER!!!! :D