How often should I be changing the filter on my Whisper?

Jun 18, 2007
Albany NY area
I have a Whisper 20-40 filter for my 30 gallon community tank. I was wondering how long between changes for the filter/charcoal? Does it depend on the fish you have or is there a "once a month" rule to follow?

Thanks!

Apr 16, 2007
I don't have a whisper I have an AC 30. I have had it for about 6 months, and never changed the filter, I have washed it about once a month, but if you change the filter you lose all that good bacteria built up in there. I am sure someone else with be able to answer more throughly then me, but that is what I do.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
In my Whisper 30 I removed the carbon-filled insert and tossed it.
I kept the 'aerobic grid' thingy with the filter floss in it, and positioned an AquaClear 50 sponge insert horizontally in behind it. (I did the exact same thing in my Whisper 5-15 filter as well; the only difference being the vertical positioning of the AC 50 sponge insert).

At each water-change I remove both of these, swish them out in old tankwater, then replace them. There will never be any need whatsoever to replace them unless they literally start disintegrating.

Sidenote:
Each of my AC 50 filters contains a Bio-Max insert and a sponge insert...that's it. No need whatsoever for carbon (which stays in storage in case it is needed for the removal of meds). All I ever do to them is rinse them off in old tankwater. Never any need to replace unless they literally disintegrate.

BV

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Changing it every 2-4 weeks is totally a waste of your money. The guideline from the manufacturer about changing it once a month is just to get you to buy more cartridges!

Generally you want to try and get filter cartridges (if you dont make your own) that dont have carbon in them already, as that can limit the amount of time they work well for filtration. Most of the whisper ones came with little packets ofcarbon that you could use if you wanted to, and I'd suggest NOT using them.

Like Lancer said, its good to take the cartridge out every couple weeks (or some people do it at every water change) and rinse it out in used tank water or dechlorinated water. NEVER in water that is chlorinated or you'll kill your bacteria.

Then when you notice your water flow is hugely reduced because your cartridge is totally gunky...you can replace it. For some tanks, that means 6 months or a year or more. Totally depends on the stock in the tank and your maintenance.

Potawato

Medium Fish
Jan 31, 2007
Changing it every 2-4 weeks is totally a waste of your money. The guideline from the manufacturer about changing it once a month is just to get you to buy more cartridges!

Generally you want to try and get filter cartridges (if you dont make your own) that dont have carbon in them already, as that can limit the amount of time they work well for filtration. Most of the whisper ones came with little packets ofcarbon that you could use if you wanted to, and I'd suggest NOT using them.

Like Lancer said, its good to take the cartridge out every couple weeks (or some people do it at every water change) and rinse it out in used tank water or dechlorinated water. NEVER in water that is chlorinated or you'll kill your bacteria.

Then when you notice your water flow is hugely reduced because your cartridge is totally gunky...you can replace it. For some tanks, that means 6 months or a year or more. Totally depends on the stock in the tank and your maintenance.
Change and clean are interchangeable in my previous post *thumbsups

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
um, that doesn't help a whole lot since the original poster asked about changing the cartridges. Maybe you could give us more about what you actually do...or how you decide when what is "needed"?

Potawato

Medium Fish
Jan 31, 2007
When my waterflow is being impeded to the point where my biowheel will not turn I take my cartrage's out and blast all the gunk off with water until they're clean and put them back in, I don't have any carbon in my filters.

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
i just use filter floss in my HOB filters. a fist-sized wad is all you need. i think i replace the wad every 6 months or so. when i do water changes i rub it between my hands to knock out any debris or nasties in the bucket of waste tank water.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Potawato,

If you're using straight tap water, and your tap water is chlorinated, you're doing a fair amount of damage to the bio-filter in your tank when you rinse it out.

Depending on your stocking level, there's a good chance you're seeing a small ammonia spike after you clean the filter.

~JW

I only replace pads or filters when they are falling apart! I never allow anything with chlorine (TAP) water to come into contact with my filter accessories. This kills all of your beneficial bacteria that are stored in the filter pads. When I DO have to repalce pads or filters I do them bi- times. I stagger them. One month I do one. The next month I do the other and so on. This allows for enough seasoned bacteria ti grow on my pads to prevent a mini-cycle which can be deadly to fish.

To clean them I just swish and squeeze them out in a bucket of tank water or Clean De-chlorinated tap water.

Potawato

Medium Fish
Jan 31, 2007
Potawato,

If you're using straight tap water, and your tap water is chlorinated, you're doing a fair amount of damage to the bio-filter in your tank when you rinse it out.

Depending on your stocking level, there's a good chance you're seeing a small ammonia spike after you clean the filter.

~JW

Apparently you missed the part about how at the same time I do a gravel clean I clean the filters out, and add de-chlorinating Prime to it.

And all my bacteria is stored on my biowheel

Last edited: