how often do goldfish spawn?

Aug 31, 2005
Los Angeles
Hi,
Most of my fishes are tropical, but 1 year ago a friend gave me a pair of commet goldfish. In a tank of their own, the female laid hundreds of eggs last month, and now the fries are growing quickly. Several days ago, the pair of goldfish started chasing each other again. I did not pay much attention to them cuz i thought they would not spawn anymore within 1 month. However, I did find some eggs in the next morning. Then I removed the eggs, and 4 days later there were the tiny babies again.

I have never had experience of breeding goldfish. Can someone please tell me how often do goldfish spawn? once or twice a year? or every month after the first time they spawn?

Thanks a lot.

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
Hard to say... the usual reason they do spawn is due to a temperature increase (for example fish in a pond would spawn in spring/early summer because the temp increase stimulates them), so maybe your temperature is swinging... otherwise I dont think there is a set number of times they spawn.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2005
Los Angeles
Recently, my goldfishes laid eggs again... I started worrying about her. She had been spawning since June (once a month like live bearers O_O). I already had millions of babies giving away to my friends who're interested in taking care of them. I thought this pair of fish will stop laying eggs because the weather is getting cold here (even though they're indoor goldfish, but I'm sure the water temperature is kinda decreasing too. Therefore, is it possible for them to continue giving birth through the year if the water temperature is above 18 C ? Will it harm the female?