How much?!?!?

Fender963

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.plantedtank.net
Hey everyone as you can tell I am new here.

Right now I only keep freshwater fish and am interested in keeping a saltwater tank.  I would like to start out big but don't have the money or the experience.  So I was wanting to start a nano tank.  Now I am kind of type of money so could someone please estimate the total cost for setting up a nano?  Not including stand and hood (I'll make them myself).  If you could be so kind could you make two estimates for me??  1. Fish only and 2.Fish and corals and stuff

Thanx alot ahead of time for all your help!!

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
A nano-saltwater? Not a good idea. Not good at all. The smallest saltwater tank for an inexperienced saltwater keeper is at least 30 gallons fish only. I hope you can find room for at least that size a tank. Anything smaller is really pushing your luck.

Estimate yourself at least $50-$100 for every ten gallons depending upon the quality of the product you purchase. So a 30 gallon saltwater set up is probably going to cost you around $250 to $300.
~~Colesea

eseow

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
You could do a saltwater nano-tank (10 gallon), but, you would have to make sure everything is totally stable. I was fortunate to get good cured live rock (2 years cured), water, and fish from the same place, so when tank is setup, is stable since it all came from the same system. If you plan on setting one up, try to find LFS and purchase all the livestock, live rock, live sand, and saltwater from their system. At least its an established system with less likelihood of going unstable. Talk to LFS abouit it, they will probably rell not to do it, or go to a bigger tank. Its not really easy to do unless you do the reasearch, but it has been done succesfully with the right know-how. Salt water books are extremely helpful, "The marine aquarium problem solver" book by Tetra Press is extremely good for fish compatibility and tank needs, water quality, live rock/sand substrates, equipment setup and how they work with what setups.  *thumbsupsmiley*

Fender963

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.plantedtank.net
Okay thanx for the info guyz.  However I don't think that I will be able to set up a normal reef setup right now as I currently don't have the money.  I however will buy a couple of books so I can get as researched as possible.  Could you guyz recommend any more books as well as the problem solver one???  Thanx  

Pooky125

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Corvallis, Or
The nano I was consitering starting up was going to cost me about $350 - 400 for a 7 gallon. If your really into this, I say, go for it, start with one little fish that you just can't kill. Mollys, Clowns, Cardinals, or damsels would be a wise choice. Please choose something captive breed. I just finished a project on cyanide fishing for ornamental and culinary uses, and, it's amazing what people are doing to there home. For fish only it should only cost you about $150 - 200. Good luck, and have fun with it!