How much should I be feeding my Betta?

Jan 15, 2013
Hi!
I have a 3/4" long female Betta fish and I was wondering how much I should be feeding her. I understand that I shouldn't feed as much as they can eat in 3 minutes (because of overfeeding). I've had 3 previous Bettas and two of them got constipated because I was feeding too much.
I've been feeding her about 6 TINY pellets a day. Is that enough/too much? She is extremely active (she just moved from a cup at the pet store to a 2.5 gallon tank, so she's excited to check out her new 'ocean', LOL) so I imagine she's burning a fair amount of calories.
Thank you for your help!

Jan 15, 2013
Thanks for your help lauraf. I wanted to make sure I wasn't starving the poor thing, the piggy always acts hungry LOL!
I'm pretty sure they overfed her at the petstore because she's a teeny bit large around the middle, but I hope to get her back on track soon.
So my next question is, do brine shrimp/bloodworms/daphnia/other freeze dried or frozen foods make Bettas fat? I read that they can cause constipation and bloat. Is this true or can I feed them as long as they're in moderation?

Parkedout

Medium Fish
Dec 6, 2012
I like to watch my betta do the 'hungry dance' so I feed him every day- just a bit. His favorite is bloodworms, so he gets that a couple of times a week and betta flakes (with little dried shrimp? ) on the others.

My other male betta lives in a 10g community tank with tetras in it and they can only be fed every other day, and he does well in that tank. So I guess every day or every other is normal. :)