How many neon tetras in a 3 gal tank?

mkm

New Fish
May 10, 2005
Hi everyone. I have a 3 gal tank with an underground filter system. The one with bubbles on top that sucks everything down. Well I am thinking about getting some neon tetras because I've read that they dont produce much waste, and I really like the way they look.
How many should I put in a 3 gallon tank? I've herd about the 1"/gal rule but I really want my tank to be active. I've seen a picture with a 3 gallon tank filled with over a dozen neons. I know that neons do good in groups so I was thinking around 6? And how often and how much water should I be changing? wait... if i do frequent water changes could I also put in a platie or molly also?
Thanks!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
In a 3G tank you're really limited to a small fish like neons. (or if you like the look of neons I'd get cardinal tetras, look the same, stay small but are hardier) I'd go with 5 or 6 tops. They're not that 'dirty' but the 1"/gallon rule isn't just for filtration, its also for swimming room. The only other thing I would suggest putting in the tank would be an otto, or an apple snail, or a few ghost shrimp (not all three!)...to help with keeping the tank clean.

As long as its not terribly overstocked, I think I'd do tank maintenance on it just like any other tank. Do water changes once a week of about 30-40%...careful to match water temperature and be sure to dechlor the water going back into the tank.

Platys and mollies get too big for a 3 gallon tank IMO.

Of course if its a new tank I would fishless cycle it before you get any critters or you'll end up having to do 50% water changes every other day for a couple of months.

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
I like Froggy's idea of the shrimps. I set up a small shrimp tank,after taking the advice of prople on MFT (thanks everone!!:) Let me tell you the shrimps are so cool,ulgy as sin,but cool none the less. Its great to see them feeding with there little claws!!!!

I'm sure some one with better PC skills than me will post a pic up for you if you ask niceiy;-)