how many gallons?

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
someone at school is selling a hexagon tank

The dimensions are: single side = 14 in  /  perimeter = 84 in  /
height w/out stand = 24 in  / height with stand & canopy = 54 in

anyone have any idea how many gallons this is? She said she thinks it is 60 but doesnt really know. And for the price she is selling it with an oak stand and canopy I cant believe it is 60 gallons??

D

discusaquarium

yep, its more than likely a 60. how much was she selling it for?

R

ronrca

I would not buy a used tank for more than $1-1G just the tank. Including stand, hood, filters etc. maybe a little more.

R

ronrca

Thats too bad of a price. Ballast might cost you around $15-20. If you pay anymore than $1-1G you can almost buy a new one.

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I dont know where you live but I live in California and I know there is no way I can buy a tank that size with solid oak stand and caopy for anywhere near that price. Maybe I will call the LFS later and find out how much one is and I will let you know

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Here is a question for you. That stand that your dad built you... why dont you ask your dad how much he would charge someone if he built it for someone? Oak is not cheap and neither is labor. I'm sure it would go for a pretty penny.

R

ronrca

He said I could probably sell it for $1500-2000 maybe. In stores, usually the stands are not made very well that is why we build out own. A 60G with stand would cost around $200 Im thinking. If it is customed made it would cost more.

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
That is a great deal.  Go for it.  Hexagon tanks cost 2-3 times more than a regular standard aquarium.  I would probably buy it.  Dang, get it now if there are no cracks!  Or tell me where, I will buy it myself.

R

ronrca

It is a very good deal  8). Lucky you! Check out the tank and stand to make sure it has no cracks or water leaks or water stains.

D

discusaquarium

sounds like a pretty good deal, go for it if you think you're ready for it! have fun and enjoy. make sure there arent any cracks or leaks!...i dont think we've said that enough.  8) ::) ;D :p

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well I went to check out the tank. First off it was acrylic which is normally a good thing. But it appears that some idiot cleaned it with something they shouldnt have! It was all scratched up. Secondly the stand and canopy were not oak they were pine. What a disappointment. :( Maybe I will check out a tank like that at my lfs and make my own stand.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Well that just sucks doesn't it? I'm sorry to hear that. Did she tell you it was oak? If so that's a really great trustworthy person huh? Hexagons are really expensive around here too. A 60 hallong hex would cost around $300. But that's for a glass on too. ;D