how many discus

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Depending on what else you put in (dither fish/bottom feeders) Id say about 5 conservatively, but I've never kept them or looked into them too much. Really depends on what else you put in there and the bioload cause they need real nice water.

brody

Small Fish
May 3, 2009
england
there will be discus with 2 plecos prob be clown or bristlenose pleco and also maybe shoaling tetra, the water will be okay because it will run the original juwel filter with a Tetratec EX 1200 External Filter.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
I still say about 5, and this allows for either a decent size school of a smaller tetra or a smaller school of a larger tetra... I'm not sure if discus eat tetra's like angels or not....

Jun 30, 2009
They can do, it depends what tetras you buy - the smallest ones like neons are usually worst off. Typical tetras to keep with discus include rummy noses and cardinals. I prefer pristella tetras myself! Depends on your personal taste.
IMHO, If you feed your Discus enough with a well varied diet, they will leave your Neons alone

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
Until recently, I kept five discus in an 80 gal tank from the time they were the size of fifty cent piece.to nearly five inches in diameter. Do read up on the care involved with keeping these fish. I would recommend cardinal tetras who appreciate the warm ,acidic ,(soft) water that these fish do best in.