How many bettas in a 10 gal.

RexyTexel

Large Fish
Apr 29, 2009
Maryland
Only 1 male betta ever. You never put two males together because they will attack eachother. You could probably get away with 4-5 females in one 10 gallon but they have to have plenty of places to hide. They'll become aggressive towards eachother just like males do. They'll nip and chase when trying to create their pecking order.

If you choose to do 1 male betta you can put small neon tetras in with him or other small schooling fish that DO NOT nip fins. Although you must judge this from your own betta. I have three males and 2 are very aggressive while 1 doesn't care what's in the tank. You really have to see what the males personality is like.

Scooper

Medium Fish
Jul 15, 2009
If you want male bettas then only one. If you want females then 4-5 only. No more,no less. As for tankmates I wouldn't suggest any for the females because of size/numbers. If you go with a male then you need to be careful. I would suggest a fish that fits these requirements:
Fast
Not to colorful
No long fins
Doesn't resemble a betta
Is peaceful

I might have messed up a little but that's what I've read on other websites and learned from experience.

waterguy1

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2009
I`d say about 4 females. (but make sure to have lots of hidey- holes!) But whatever u do, DO NOT put males together unless u want dead bettas. for tankmates, I would suggest fish that don`t nip fins, mind there own business, and don`t resemble bettas. also, almost any kind of bottom feeder exept chinese alge eaters are good, plus african dwarf frogs and small tetras.

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
I have my male in a 10g with a dwarf frog. They do very well together. I do NOT recommend neons as someone above did. Depends on the betta, but mine killed a neon in about 20 min flat. Won't try that again.
As far as the females go, read up alot on it. I have been unsuccessful with multiple females and wouldn't try it in a 10. I had one in my 75 and she killed the second one I tried. Next, I tried 4 at one time in the 75g, they fought too. How is 75g not enough for a one inch fish?

Aug 19, 2009
Females are hard to get along in a ten gallon. You do need a minimum of 5 though, for any tank size. this helps spread out aggression, just two or three, they will shread or kill one another, four is do able, but expect hell for the first week or two as they are setting up their pecking order.

I personally have 10 or so females in a 55, they have been there for a few months, not one casualty.

Males need a lot more space to be compatilble, and once again, it all comes down to temperment. I would say it toke me a month to find the right combination of male bettas before I could have them in a 55 with out problems. I can tell you this though, NO RED BETTAS, they will not get along, and they will be a number one target for most of the other bettas. when they said the bulls attack because of the color red, they should have said bettas.

LadyLail

Large Fish
Dec 31, 2008
NC
www.myspace.com
After we move into our home and I'm able to re-set up my 10g, I'll go back to having a male Betta, Chinese Hillstream Loach, and 2 ADF's. Similar set ups with ADF's and Betta's have always worked well for me in such a small tank.

And Warriors, I think Kyle was just making a joke. I don't think he was trying to convince anyone male Bettas do well together.

Calmwaters

Small Fish
Jul 9, 2009
I currently have a male Betta with 2 female Sunburst Wag Platys, 1 male Sunburst, a male and female Sword Tail, a Cory Cat and a Blue Mystery Snail in a 10 gallon tank and they all get along fine.

Kindest Regards,
Amanda

Sep 16, 2008
Somewhere
Male bettas DO NOT MIX WELL. As everyone said above, male bettas will fight to the death. Females are agressive. What no one else said is that they will attack gouramis, even bigger ones. Other Betta species are more peaceful usually, but they are expensive most of the time. Also, they are not often available. Despite the agression, I would choose Betta splendens.