How do you tell...

bunker_1

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2008
Cincinnati
I might need to get some new filters then. I know only about 1 gallon is coming out for every 3 gallons I put in. At least I set up a by-pass on my softner. We needed it for the house, I was just hoping it would help with the fish.
Thanks Lotus!

bunker_1

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2008
Cincinnati
I finally have the water at the correct softness. While I was sleeping Monday night they spawned. I saw the eggs Tuesday morning at feeding time. When I got home from work they were gone! Then Friday night they tried again!! But this morning (Sunday), They few eggs that were left were white.

So...My male has not done his job. I figured I would let them try a few more time before I start switching it up.

bunker_1

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2008
Cincinnati
Update, she is laying eggs every 2-3 days now. And he is very good at cleaning the spot, fanning the eggs and protecting them. But when it is time for him to do his do, nothing. Just a blank stare, like "am I supposed to do something, or are we good?" lol. I was planning on giving then until Feb to get it right, but that was when I though they were going to try every week or two. So I think I am going to give the 10-15 attempts. If he can't get his head out of his butt by then, it will peobably never happen, right? Should I try to find another male since she is so good at egg laying?

Side question: At what age/size do discus begin to breed? I have 6 Marlboro Reds from Hans that are 3-3.5". They have not totally colored up yet, but I do not think it will be long.