How do you redecorate your fish tank?

Jodie

New Fish
Jan 5, 2012
I am very unhappy with my fish tank and want to redecorate. I have 12 tetras and want to redecorate it completely, change gravel ornaments etc. can anyone help me how i can keep my fish safe or shall i just sell them and get new ones?

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
You will need to keep some filter media and perhaps some gravel if you can to keep from having to totally re-cycle your tank. Move the fish into a smaller holding tank while you are doing this. If you can put them into a spare 10g while you do this it would be great.
Once you have re-done the tank, check your levels frequently after you return your fish to their newly re-done home. If you can save the water, do so, since you are getting rid of the bb in the gravel and on the decor. If it is at all possible, try to put some of the new gravel into your established tank before you change it (put it in a mesh bag) so it can get some bacteria started on it (I'm guessing a week or so before you do the over-haul).
It will be very stressful for your fish, so do what you can to keep the cycle as short as possible. If you can switch out the decor slowly in the week or so before changing over the gravel, that will also help.
I'm sure others will also have ideas and advice.
Good luck and keep us posted!