How can you tell a goldfish appart?

HaWk16

Medium Fish
Nov 27, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
i was wondering, how can you tell if a goldfish is a male or a female? and also what is the temperature that a goldfish is most comfortable at? thnx

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
High 60s to low 70s if fine, and they can deal with temp swings in either direction.

not sure on the sexing them....Never really bothered to look it up. Seeing as there is literally tons of info out there a quick www.google.com search should pull some answers for you.

You do know that the fantails can get as big as a grape fruit and the comets get well over a foot long right? I mention this because your 10 gal you have them in is in no way a suitable home for 1 let alone 4.

Edit: Sorry if someone else has already said something about that.

HaWk16

Medium Fish
Nov 27, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
You do know that the fantails can get as big as a grape fruit and the comets get well over a foot long right? I mention this because your 10 gal you have them in is in no way a suitable home for 1 let alone 4.
Yea i know but i dont have enough money for a bigger tank right now so yea. they are only babies i know that it can stunt their growth but i cant do anything right now. my mom wanted fish and we were only allowed to get a 10 gal and she wanted these four off the bat so yea. Dont wry, ill find a cheap tank soon

Sep 8, 2005
Fancy goldfish like their temps in the middle 70's. Males have little pimple looking white dots on their gill plates and fins. Females get fatter with eggs. Males chase the females around. You can usually tell in early spring which are males and females. That is when they usually spawn.