Houdini Firefish?

waterguy1

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2009
Well, yesterday I got all exited because I got my first saltwater fish, right? and I acclimated It to my aquarium, and It was doing just fine. all my water levels were good, and he ate a couple flakes. It`s all cool. But then I wake up the next morning and my little fish is hiding under a cave, opening and closing his mouth. I`m pretty sure He`s fine, maybe just in a little shock. but then I go on a couple errands, and when I come back, He`s gone. The tank was well covered, and I moved around the liverock, checked inside the filter, and I`m pretty sure he didn`t jump because the tank was completely covered! I`m really bummed out, though, And I don`t know where he could be! My first freaking saltwater fish, too!

CRACKERMAN

Medium Fish
Mar 30, 2009
how big is your tank..
and how many rocks in there you kept
how long sinse your salt mixed in your tank
never put firefish as your first fish...
they have tendency of suffocating themselves if left alone...

Feb 27, 2009
Well, yesterday I got all exited because I got my first saltwater fish, right? and I acclimated It to my aquarium, and It was doing just fine. all my water levels were good, and he ate a couple flakes. It`s all cool. But then I wake up the next morning and my little fish is hiding under a cave, opening and closing his mouth. I`m pretty sure He`s fine, maybe just in a little shock. but then I go on a couple errands, and when I come back, He`s gone. The tank was well covered, and I moved around the liverock, checked inside the filter, and I`m pretty sure he didn`t jump because the tank was completely covered! I`m really bummed out, though, And I don`t know where he could be! My first freaking saltwater fish, too!
If he ate, he was feeling comfortable then. They are really good at hiding and can fit into almost any small opening or crack in a rock. He may be just hiden and waiting for a quiet time to come out again. Keep an eye on your water parameters and look for him when the lights are turned out. Mine would cruise around at dusk/dawn the most often.

waterguy1

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2009
nope, and im assuming it dead. I found a little shrimp that came out of my rocks (yay! Free), so i don`t think he polluted the tank too much. I`m wondering if I should try another. I know that my tank is completely cycled now. do you think I might have better luck?

waterguy1

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2009
okay, I couldn't resist. I was at the best fish store in town (they really know what they are doing there) and along with a new zoo frag, I got a nice, healthy firefish. I drip acclimated him to my tank after acclimating te water temp. by floating him, and right now he seems to be doing nicely. He's found a couple of hidey holes that he likes, but I can still see him. He is eating. Still, I'm trying not to get my hopes too high.