HI

bam

New Fish
Jun 21, 2016
Thanks for the add in. I've had fish for many, many years. I've had many types of tropical fish, plus fancy goldfish. My favorite fish are fancy goldfish, but the home I have now is small, and there is not enough room for a large tank. For that reason I don't have goldfish right now.

I currently have one tank. That is a 29 gallon with Rosy Red minnows. I really like them. They are personable, like goldfish, but a lot smaller, so they don't require a large tank.

I also like guppies, but for some reason they don't like me. I have a hard time keeping them healthy. Sometimes I think it's the water from my tap, even though I treat it with Stress Coat. I finally gave up on them.

I'm looking forward to being in this forum.

Thanks again.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Welcome Bam. I too prefer fish that face plant the glass when they see you. I get a lot of that with my oscar and severum. My goldies are OK, but a little skittish in comparison. I've also not had great luck with guppies, but I've only kept 2 of them the past 3-4yrs. Both fancy males. Neither lived more than a year, but were grown when I got them and I don't think they live that long being live bearers.

bam

New Fish
Jun 21, 2016
Welcome Bam. I too prefer fish that face plant the glass when they see you. I get a lot of that with my oscar and severum. My goldies are OK, but a little skittish in comparison. I've also not had great luck with guppies, but I've only kept 2 of them the past 3-4yrs. Both fancy males. Neither lived more than a year, but were grown when I got them and I don't think they live that long being live bearers.
Because you have goldfish, do you think a 29 gallon tank, with a large filter. is too small for 2 fantails? The filter is an aquaclear 70 power filter, which filters 300 gallons an hour. I sure do miss those goldfish.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Bam, to me. a 29g is perfect for a pair of fancies. Do a nice fine substrate for them to skim through, or go without substrate even. AC70 is the ideal filter for it too IMO. All I've got currently on my 55g goldfish tank is an AC70 and a large sponge bubbler.