Hi Guys (and of course Gals!)

Ratbag

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
South East UK
Hi, I'm (Andy) Ratbag in the UK. I've been reading these forums for about 3 Months now and have been keeping Tropical Fish for 5 or 6 months.

Currently my favourite tank is a Heavily planted 30 Imp. Gal.  with 6 juvenile Discus (2 Red Pidgeon/2 Red-Blue Royal/1 Snake/1 Pearl Pidgeon), 12 Cardinals, 8 Corys (2 each Julii/Bronze/Albino/Adolfo), a Banjo Cat and a Gold Nugget Plec.

Thankfully they're all small now but I'm looking for a MUCH bigger tank in the next few months to house this lot!

Who are the Discus keepers here?  ???

Ratbag

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
South East UK
Hi Confusedfishy, It's a pretty simple setup really.....
I have two Powerglo tubes, one 12" 8w on from 7am - Midnight and one 30" 30w on from 2pm - 11pm.

Most will say it's way under powered light wise (It's an 18" deep tank) but I have plenty of Vallis, a few anubias and a mini lotus too and they all grow fine! The Discus hate anything brighter. It's funny what works for some doesn't work for others.  ???

Anyway, hope this helps......
And you can't go wrong with the Discus!

Oct 22, 2002
Monroe North Carolina
Thanks again for the input, ratbag.  Live plants really make a difference in the look of the tank.  I have not got the hood yet for my tank and I have priced different lighting and they can really cost a lot.  I think I will try to go to visit the breeder on Mon. and see what he's got in my price range.  The most common I've seen are all in varied shades of blue.  I've seen some with orange and red on web sites and they are awsome!  (Dont know the latin names)  As for plants, no lfs have any "good looking" ones, but Petsmart in the next town has some really healthy ones and lots of variety also.  Thanks again!!! 8)

Hi Andy!

I too have discus. 4 in a 55g planted tank with lemon tetras, blue rams, royal plec, 2 different kinds of tiger plec, a bristlenose plec (lost the male in the heatwave last month), and 2 clown plecs.

Looking for 2 more discus to fill this tank out.

The royal plec will be moved to one of the larger tanks once they get here. 110g, 137g in storage in Ottawa, and a 180 coming next week (got a GREAT deal thru a client at work....the tank, stand and lights for $200 Canadian :-D )

Ratbag

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
South East UK
Luvfishies, you are a lucky..... *laughingcryingsmiley*
I WANT A TANK THAT BIG!  :p
Funnily enough I had a Royal Plec in my Discus tank until just before I got the Discus, he's now in my comm. tank. You have the same fascination with Plecs as I do. I love em! I would like to get a Zebra soon but they're soooooooo expensive  :-/

What Discus do you have?