Hi all here are my Platys and tank what do you think

Feb 11, 2013
Hi all I'm new to all this so I thought I would show you what platys I have, one already gave birth but they were all eaten so now I sectioned off a bit of the tank for the pregnant females hope this works, what do you think

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Welcome to the forum! It is a very nice looking tank. What size is it? Are those fish all platies? I can't tell what you are trying to accomplish with the grid, but from the picture it looks like any fry could swim right through it.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
That's a nice looking setup platy. Is that a 55gal?

Do I see a goldfish mixed in with the platys? They take OK to a heated tank? I thought keeping them in a heated/tropical fish tank made them much more prone to disease.

Joel

Feb 11, 2013
Welcome to the forum! It is a very nice looking tank. What size is it? Are those fish all platies? I can't tell what you are trying to accomplish with the grid, but from the picture it looks like any fry could swim right through it.
Hi and thanks,

the tank is 4ft x 18" wide x 25" high or there abouts not sure how much water it holds,

Its hard to see in thr pick but I have put plastic fly screen on the grid so the fry won't be able to get trough

Feb 11, 2013
That's a nice looking setup platy. Is that a 55gal?

Do I see a goldfish mixed in with the platys? They take OK to a heated tank? I thought keeping them in a heated/tropical fish tank made them much more prone to disease.

Joel
Hi yes I have 4 gold fish in the tank as well they, they seen to be very healthy, the guys at the local shop sad they will be ok ?? Should I remove them ????????

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Platy, I'm not an expert on it, but I wouldn't keep goldfish in a heated tank. They are cold water fish. They could get sick and make the other fish in the tank sick. Might be an *excuse* to start up another tank! (w/out a heater)

Joel

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
According to my math you have a 93 gallon tank. One goldfish supposedly needs at least 20 - 30 gallons and each additional another 10. It really isn't a good idea to mix them as Joel points out. Besides the fact they are cold water fish they are also rather messy so your upkeep will be much more.

Feb 11, 2013
I just did some research, called the local aquarium and my temp is usually at 25 to 26 degrees Celsius or 77 to 78F and that is ok for both types of fish ?

Gold fish are a dirty fish but the kids like them so they stay,

Feb 11, 2013
How new is the tank? Is it cycled? Do you have a way to test the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
The tank had the gold fish in there for about 18 months then I did a big water change 80% and cleaned the filter filled it back up and had it going for about 1 month before the 2 catfish were put in then 2 weeks after that platys went in,

I take a water sample to the local pet shop and they test it for me

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Platy, take whatever advice you want, but goldfish are cold water fish. If you poke around any cold water / goldfish forum, you will never see a heater being recommended for the fish's long term health.

No offense to pet/fish store personnel, but generally they don't give the best advice for long term fish keeping care. They're there to sell you products.

You also need to have your own water parameter test kit to be a member at this forum (I'm KIDDING!). Seriously though, you should have one. Read up on nitrogen cycle/cycling/beneficial bacteria as it relates to fish keeping. Good luck! Nice looking tank and fish!

Joel

Feb 11, 2013
Platy, take whatever advice you want, but goldfish are cold water fish. If you poke around any cold water / goldfish forum, you will never see a heater being recommended for the fish's long term health.

No offense to pet/fish store personnel, but generally they don't give the best advice for long term fish keeping care. They're there to sell you products.

You also need to have your own water parameter test kit to be a member at this forum (I'm KIDDING!). Seriously though, you should have one. Read up on nitrogen cycle/cycling/beneficial bacteria as it relates to fish keeping. Good luck! Nice looking tank and fish!

Joel

Freshyfresh that's what forums are for advice and opinions so no stress I appreciate the feedback,

I did a bit of surfing around on the goldfish / heated tank question and it seems to be a hot topic around the world with a 50/50 for and against, and some people really get fired up about it,

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Yes they do. The only issues I ever had with gf in a heated tank was slimy filters and out growth. I think the water changes just need to be closer together and larger.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Freshyfresh that's what forums are for advice and opinions so no stress I appreciate the feedback,

I did a bit of surfing around on the goldfish / heated tank question and it seems to be a hot topic around the world with a 50/50 for and against, and some people really get fired up about it,
I hear you Platy123. It's all good.

After all, it's working for you. That's what matters!

Joel