Hey there!!

Jan 4, 2010
North of Dallas Texas
Just dropping in to say hello to the board. I'm pretty new to the freshwater community but consider myself probably intermediate skill by now having gone quickly from 2.5 to 10 and at Christmas to a long 20 gallon tank. I have silk plants (just not quite sure about going to live ones yet) and a variety of tetra family fish including 2 Flame, 4 Neon, 3 Rasbora Hex, 2 cat bottom feeders, 3 chinese alge eaters, 2 silver hatchets, 1 guppy (don't want breeding) and 1 Red Minor.... I think that's all.... I like variety.

If you have any advice about adding live plants to my budding interest - nay I say my new addiction... *celebrate, Just let me know.

Thanks

Freshwatergal

jamiejay09

Large Fish
Dec 14, 2009
England
very nice variety.. one question though, do you have any problems with the algae eater..?? as they get older they become more aggressive towards the other inhabitants in your tank ? i have a golden chinese algae eater and he can be but not if i keep him fed well and give plenty of hiding cover :)

Feb 27, 2009
very nice variety.. one question though, do you have any problems with the algae eater..?? as they get older they become more aggressive towards the other inhabitants in your tank ? i have a golden chinese algae eater and he can be but not if i keep him fed well and give plenty of hiding cover :)
Keeping a Chinese Algae Eater well fed with plenty of hiding places will not prevent the aggression, no matter the color variety. It is just a matter of time with most of them.

Feb 27, 2009
Welcome, Freshwatergal~

Plants are not that hard, if you ask questions and research to avoid the most common pitfalls.

Most start out with either a) non-aquatic plants that a lot of aquarium stores sell for some reason, or b) starting out with high-light plants when you only have low-light available to them.