hexagon tanks?

kagal

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
SW PA
I dont know i have a 10gallon hex i have 2 angels and 2 cories in it and this is greta for the angels nice and high...i think they are good

Oct 22, 2002
I have a 27 gal one. I bought it around ~15 years ago. Got out of the hobby around 10 years ago and then rekindled my intrest recently.

Pros: Looks cool. You can grow plants very tall in the tank. You can also have very distinctive levels of fish: ie: top dellers, middle and bottom. Alltanks allow this, but this is more pronounced in a tall tank. Less gravel is needed.

Cons: Lighting the darn thing. Fluorescents really only penetrate 18" thru water. Growing light greedy plants can be a problem. The metal stand that they come with is very poor. You always have to bend down to see the fish. I moved mine to a stand that is cutom built and 30" high. Now the tank is almost eye level. Cleaning a tall tank can be a bit of a problem. Getting light fixtures limited to 18" wide or smaller can be a problem when looking for supplies.

I like my tank. It's takes some getting used to. It's not as easy as a regular tank due to size constrants in equipement, but it does draw attention to itself.

Weigh your options and do your homework before you decide. Nothing is worse than forcing an issue (anywhere) and regretting your decision because you wanted something right then.

It's worth the effort. It's a cool looking tank. A little more effort, but well worth it.

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
To put it bluntly, I hate hexagon tanks. They are more form over function, appealing to humans (well some... I don't like the shape), and not the fish. Oxygen content and gas exchange is low on a hex, they are deeper than wide. There is little room for the fish to swim; fish generally do not swim up and down. They are hard to clean. I wouldn't get a hex. You are being offered a used tank cheaply, go for it if you want. But I wouldn't suggest them for anyone looking for a new tank, a flat back hex would be fine, just not a regular one.

D

discusaquarium

i dont really like hexagons either, i like the rectangular tanks myself, better gas exchange as ownedbykitten said and more space for the fish to swim. you can also hide your equipment on a rect. tank, with a hex you have to pick a side for the filter and stuff. go for it if you really want it though, thats just my opinion. :)

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You guys make some good points. I think I will check out my lfs on Sunday and maybe go with a flat backed hex? I am getting rid of my 10 gallon tanks because they just dont look as nice as the larger tanks. I really like the 30 gallon that I have in my bedroom..