Henry Dubreuil my new Crowntail Betta

Feb 5, 2010
In a big wooden box
Hi guys, I wanted to introduce my new Crowntail Betta. His name is Henry, thanks for the help of one of my good friends.

So the story of driving to the stores, and looking at all the Betta's. My dad didn't really have any idea what I wanted to buy, but he knew that it was something I really wanted. So he let me go to Walmart and I told him I wanted another Betta because I lost my other one, and feel like I would like a new responsibility so he said lets go for a walk outside. We walked to Petsmart, from Walmart because its right beside.

I feel bad for all the other healthy Betta's that had to stay in those small little cups that look like there's blue water in them.

But after looking though them and convincing him I wanted a Crowntail the more expensive one he said okay. He bought Henry, and at Walmart I bought all the stuff.

We got home, and I was ready to get Henry ready for his new home. So I got the water, and added the tap water stuff and waited. Planted the plants and added Henry. He's so lucky he can pretend to be Sponge Bob with the cool stuff.

Now for pictures because we all know that's the best part of making a new thread.

Now this is Henry's tank, and as you can see a cute Sponge Bob thing is in there. It's so bright and beautiful!

A bit of a blurry picture of Henry, what a cutie!

A less blurry photo of my Henry, what a beauty! He's so handsome!

He isn't camera shy that's for sure. More pictures soon!

ChakaRaka

Small Fish
Dec 27, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Well it looks like the convincing worked. Best of luck with your new pet. Can't wait until my water is finally all cycled and ready for some inhabitants. So I guess the responsibility angle worked? ;)

ChakaRaka.

Feb 5, 2010
In a big wooden box
Well it looks like the convincing worked. Best of luck with your new pet. Can't wait until my water is finally all cycled and ready for some inhabitants. So I guess the responsibility angle worked? ;)

ChakaRaka.

Yes ChakaRaka, the convincing worked. Now I have a cute BETTA. He's tank is so clean, because he is fine swimming with the filter. I will be doing water changes every week, just small ones. Maybe 25% or less.

Keep me up to date when your tank is finished cycling, I would really want to fine out want creatures will get to live in your tank!

And yeah the responsibility angle worked, and I'm glad it did because I'm so happy this Betta is so nice and healthy now too keep it up!

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Congrats, that's super! I have what might be a silly betta question, as I've not kept bettas before. It sounded like you were able to add him straight away without cycling the water (other than adding the water conditioner) - is this something that is okay for bettas, but not other fish???

Feb 5, 2010
In a big wooden box
Congrats, that's super! I have what might be a silly betta question, as I've not kept bettas before. It sounded like you were able to add him straight away without cycling the water (other than adding the water conditioner) - is this something that is okay for bettas, but not other fish???
Well I wasn't so sure because when cycling you should have a few fish in with the tank but a Betta isn't a suitable fish to do so. I think that its fine not to cycle the water before adding a Betta, just because most of the time they live in tiny cups until death or owned so cycling was never really done for them. Other fish at stores are placed in tanks, filtered and heated so they must cycle there tanks but for Betta's I don't think its necessary but you should ask for more than my opinion this is juts because I've owned other Betta's before without cycling and they lived normal. And by the way thank you so much!

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
great tank, awesome Betta, just one problem:

You didn't cycle the tank lol

don't get freaked out, it should all be ok if you do weekly 25% water changes, but you REALLY need to go buy a water testing kit. don't buy the garbage test strips, go for the liquid test. API Freshwater Master Test Kit is what you'll want.

make sure that you do a water change whenever the ammonia reaches 1 ppm and/or the nitrite reaches .5ppm.

Feb 5, 2010
In a big wooden box
great tank, awesome Betta, just one problem:

You didn't cycle the tank lol

don't get freaked out, it should all be ok if you do weekly 25% water changes, but you REALLY need to go buy a water testing kit. don't buy the garbage test strips, go for the liquid test. API Freshwater Master Test Kit is what you'll want.

make sure that you do a water change whenever the ammonia reaches 1 ppm and/or the nitrite reaches .5ppm.
I will be keeping up with 25% water changes, and I will be getting a good testing kit just like you said not the crappy test strips the liquid test. I will get that on Tuesday because tomorrow everything or mostly is closed from the holiday I think tis called Family Day. I will keep that in mind, thanks for the advice something a stupid fish owner, needs. this is harsh on my part just because I don't understand these easy things, I understand better when complicated. I guess to be nicer to myself I could say an in-experienced fish owner, but all the same I try. :)

Thanks and yes he is just so AWESOME! My mom noticed I name all males after kings when i don't know.. weird... I must like king names...

Thanks Newman!

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Thanks Newman for chiming in here - I wasn't gonna second-guess a betta owner, but I did think that any tank should be cycled. And Alexis, the reason I was asking wasn't at all to call you out, but more because when my 5g that holds my baby angels is finished as a fry tank, I was thinking of delving into the fascinating world of bettas!
So I think for any next time that happens for you, Alexis, the cycling is pretty important, and there is a way that many people do a 'fish-less' cycle. Don't worry about it now (listen to Newman!), but yeah, for future reference, a fishless cycle is best.
And again, congrats on your new baby, he's gorgeous. Keep up with the water changes, get the *proper* test kits, and don't beat yourself up, kiddo. You are a caring fishkeeper, but, yes, like all of here at some point (me too, still!!!) don't have lots of experience. That's what I liked about this forum when I stumbled across it two months ago - I'm getting advice from people from all over the world, of all ages, and it is making my fishkeeping adventure that much more interactive and successful.
BTW - I love your sig where you thank your dad. Twice. I'm sure you have done so in person ;) And he might actually *want* to see this forum and your posts. If I were your dad (I can't be, I'm a lady), I'd be pretty proud of how you did your research, held your own, and interacted with everyone here.
And last - I love royal history - tell me all about Henry Dubreuil!
Cheers,
Laura

Feb 5, 2010
In a big wooden box
Thanks Newman for chiming in here - I wasn't gonna second-guess a betta owner, but I did think that any tank should be cycled. And Alexis, the reason I was asking wasn't at all to call you out, but more because when my 5g that holds my baby angels is finished as a fry tank, I was thinking of delving into the fascinating world of bettas!
So I think for any next time that happens for you, Alexis, the cycling is pretty important, and there is a way that many people do a 'fish-less' cycle. Don't worry about it now (listen to Newman!), but yeah, for future reference, a fishless cycle is best.
And again, congrats on your new baby, he's gorgeous. Keep up with the water changes, get the *proper* test kits, and don't beat yourself up, kiddo. You are a caring fishkeeper, but, yes, like all of here at some point (me too, still!!!) don't have lots of experience. That's what I liked about this forum when I stumbled across it two months ago - I'm getting advice from people from all over the world, of all ages, and it is making my fishkeeping adventure that much more interactive and successful.
BTW - I love your sig where you thank your dad. Twice. I'm sure you have done so in person ;) And he might actually *want* to see this forum and your posts. If I were your dad (I can't be, I'm a lady), I'd be pretty proud of how you did your research, held your own, and interacted with everyone here.
And last - I love royal history - tell me all about Henry Dubreuil!
Cheers,
Laura
I love how I stumbled across this forum too. I learn new things everyday and the people here are good with sites and information, making me more experienced each day!

I will keep the water changes, and I will be getting the *right* testing kit tomorrow.

BTW- Thank you, I thought I should thank him for it, because he really didn't have to let me have it whether he was ever going to see this forum. So one day I shall show him this, and maybe he might join!! Thanks btw :)

Royal history eh, I'd give it a shot!

So the little prince lived in a little cup, nothing less than our own drinking kind of cups. The water was blue, and there was a white lid on the top with a big yellow sticker that stated "Male Crowntail Betta > $7.89" Most there lives are the same living in the royal kingdom (Pet shop). Most seemed angry or really tired but this very prince didn't. He was use to flaring, because they made the cups clear and put all the Betta's around at a little shelf.

I walked over there after looking and describing to my dad how terrible the goldfish lives are here, 5o or so swimming in what looks a 20-15 gallon tank.

I started lifting the cups, with was bit rude but in order to see if one was healthy it had to be done. My dad told me he liked this purple one, and I just started that's a common Betta. He laughed, because he didn't really know why we were going to the store that day. I showed him what a Crowntail Betta looked like, and explained about. Early he wanted me to get Cihold, and I didn't say no I only said how. I asked him a question, his answer was like what. I told him those type need at least 40+ tank space, and I only have one big tank which is a ten gallon.

Looking at the Betta's he asked me where and what tank. That was easy, because this was planed way before we left. My answer was "My room, in the ten gallon" He asked me why, and added because the ten gallon has more room for the Betta, and will be able to have a filter too keep it cleaner so I don't have to do full water changes every week but once a month.

So I finished with that and picked up what I named Henry. "He's very healthy." I said. "and so pretty I love him!" So my dad bought him for me. At the time I didn't know his name but I was sure it wouldn't be hard to get.

The Pet store was Petsmart but please most of there Betta's were extremely healthy or else I would have left, without any fish. A few looked blue but still healthy. Of course I would be blue too if I had to live in a little cup. Just to keep room, with is totally stupid. Its just like wearing a watch that doesn't work, you can but would you? Right you get what I mean. :)

I was cold, my hands around the cup, keeping it semi warm till we hit the car (Not literally) My dad actually left, and came back with a PRINTER SCANNER that was $200 dollars... wow but I got my cute Betta and that's really want I wanted.

As an un-experienced fish owner, I didn't have the tank ready for him. Sorry I felt bad, but he could live in that little cup for ever if I wanted but I was nice and set up his tank in 20 minutes which is fast. I didn't cycle because really I didn't think Betta's had to but because of other fish in the past when I didn't even know about cycling they lived long so yeah but next time its CYCLING TIME. You get the point.

I was talking with a friend about my Betta and she stated a LONG list of names. All a bit cheesy like "Bubbles" (Guys don't get me wrong these names are cute with some fish but for royally....) I chose Henry, and he liked it. When I told him he was swimming around, really fast. I was like wow, good chose Alexis *pats back*.

Now he's royal and a king now because he lives in a ten gallon alone, maybe I can get some snails or something small to be his servants!!! (Get it... the snails clean, so servants is a good title!) That just make me crack up... HAHA*laughingc

I hope this is what you meant my royal history... or did you mean the real boring history on the dude Henry III, or the Betta? Well whatever this history totally beats all histories!

Sorry for the longness... I had a good story set, but not an awesome written one I can do better. :)

Anyone got questions... I love to answer them!

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Well, I kinda did wonder which historical king Henry you meant, and why that figure inspired you, as I do find that stuff interesting . . . .

But your tale was far more engaging!

And you should take the time to write it down, edit it, and get it all well-written so you could submit it for a local contest/give it to your dad or mom/ your friends, etc. You have a great storytelling knack there hon!
Cheers,
Laura

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Well I wasn't so sure because when cycling you should have a few fish in with the tank but a Betta isn't a suitable fish to do so. I think that its fine not to cycle the water before adding a Betta, just because most of the time they live in tiny cups until death or owned so cycling was never really done for them. Other fish at stores are placed in tanks, filtered and heated so they must cycle there tanks but for Betta's I don't think its necessary but you should ask for more than my opinion this is juts because I've owned other Betta's before without cycling and they lived normal. And by the way thank you so much!
Woah. I totally disagree. Bettas are abused and kept in cups because there are so many misconceptions about them living in puddles in the wild (not true) and also, betta males cannot be kept in tanks together. Pet stores keep them in cups because it's easier than buying tons of little tanks, I suppose. Bettas are fish, too and they are very sensitive to high ammonia and nitrates. Their tanks should absolutely be cycled! Nitrates and ammonia hurt them as much or even more than other fish species. How they live at the store is not how they should live at home.