Help!!

Aug 27, 2011
ok..so i have a community tank with a pictus catfish, blue gourami, kribesis (sp??), and a pink glowfish (tetra)..my kribesis is chasing and fin nipping at my catfish and the pink tetra..not so much the blue gourami. i did some reasearch and found that when the kribesis is acting like this it means that its trying to breed. i dont want to flush the fish down the toilet so should i buy another one to see if they breed or should i try to find someone who wants it? or is there a way to calm it down without stressing out the other fish? advice would be GREATLY appreciated :) thanks for reading!!

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
You can not have two or even one kribs unless you have at least a 50G tank and lots of hiding spots to claim as their property. These fish are VERY TERRITORIAL and will defend their space, which may include the whole tank if its smaller like under 20-29G. They are a cichid and are not compatible with most community fish. Its best to give him back to the fish store as a donation or even sometimes they give you credit to a new fish. They list these as peaceful in most directories but after having a few I have found this to not be very accurate when in a community tank.

Feb 27, 2009
my kribesis is chasing and fin nipping at my catfish and the pink tetra..not so much the blue gourami. i did some reasearch and found that when the kribesis is acting like this it means that its trying to breed.
I'm not sure where you did your research, but the fin nipping does not mean it is trying to breed. It's trying to defend a territory.

You have a cichild, and although it is calmer than most, it is still a cichlid. Being a bottom dweller for the most part, he (she) does not want share its space with others. The gourami usually stay in the top 3rd of the tank's space which is probably why its being spared. I agree with McMopar, the krib is not a good fish for a community tank.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
what size tank do you have?

you should have fake plants and pots or slanted rocks in there for both the pictus and krib to break up line of sight. what they cannot see, they cannot hurt. and if they do see them, then if their image is blocked for a moment then they forget. plants and decor arnt just for veiwers, it helps the community too.

Your krib cannot breed alone and so shouldnt be attempting to, like stated above, just defending territory.

your tetra...iis a danio...should first off be in a shoal. you need to add a few more. their dither fish...meaning people get them for smie-aggressive fish to pick on cause their so quick they should be able to avoid bullying.