Help?

Okay, so I read the entire step by step guide, twice.

I am new to this, I have purchased everything I need. I just have a few questions to ask.

Right now I have set up the tank and it is cycling - though I have not put the heater in yet. Currently there is only coral sand, live rock, and water in there. The heater will come in the mail on Monday.

I modified the light hood, placing 2 strips of blue LED lights, one blue LED lamp, and two m616 white led lamps

I purchased these of various sellers on ebay. Is the lighting here sufficient for coral?

I have purchased a Fluval Edge, what filters do I keep and what filters do I throw away (there is foam, carbon, and stones). Do I keep all three of these or should I get rid of some?

I also purchased a Purigen Ultimate Filtration bag. When should I put this in?

Thanks.

If all goes well I will set up a journal and show people how to modify their edge the way I did.

EDIT:

Heater came in. Water is at 27.5 degrees. I would also like to ask what type of small coral can I put in there that will host a clown fish? I will add smaller corals along the way, but I would like a "feature" coral to host the fish. The tank is 6 gallons in size.

Cheers!

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Hello,
I do not run any filter in my salt tanks, not even a pre-filter or sponge. The corals need the food that is flowing around so why filter it?? Once the filter catches it the food only rots. I use lots of live rock as my bio-filter and make sure you have a good current by power heads or wave makers. I did run skimmers on my salt tanks, have stopped using them with the success of my home made algae turf scrubbers. I use only water from my 6 stage RO filter this makes the water quality much better. Even before the algae turf scrubber I ran filter-less besides my skimmers. It was a big leap of faith to run with no filters on my salt tanks years ago but, so far its been a good choice. When I water change I try to get anything sucked up that may have been missed by my cleaning crew which is very rare. There are many ways to run your salt tanks. This is just the best choice for me. My nutrient levels are always zero to barely detectable which makes my inhabitants very happy. Do some research on skimmers, filters, filter-less, and algae turf scrubbers and choose the one that makes the most sense to you. If you don't understand a method its probably not the right method for you. You should steer clear of carbon for your salt tanks as its etched with phosphate and can harm your tank. If you run a filter just plain floss is fine. Your bio-filter should be made up of lots of live rock. I am sure others out there have good luck with a different system. Maybe others will post their methods and you can choose the one that fits you. Either way you go get a good test kit and learn why each test is important to your tanks function. Go slow, be patient, learn and it will reap many rewards in the future.