Help with tank choice and other goodies ;)

peconi

New Fish
Sep 8, 2008
Hi all ;)

I just got a pretty little goldfish today. It comes in a poor little bowl, which is something I definitely do not want to keep her in.

I am looking to get some really nice tank, fill it up with cool stuff to keep her happy and occupied but I need some help.

After an hour of looking around the internet, this whole deal if it is to be done correctly is not too simple. Tanks, plants, gravel, water purifiers, filters, heaters, ... you know where I'm going :)

Here are my questions which I really hope some of you can answer:

• First things first - the tank. I was looking on-line and found that Oceanic Bio Cube (14 or 29 gallons) looks very nice, but also I've found the Current's AquaPod to be well praised. The latter one seems to have all kinds of different lights too... Which one is better for GoldFish? Maybe you have some other suggestion?
  • Talking about light - there seem to be so many different light options. Why are they so important? What's the difference?
  • Is the filtering system in the two aquariums above adequate? What are the most important things I need to know about filtering system? GPH, when should I change them, etc.?
  • The two tanks I mentioned above are quite big and everywhere on-line it seems people use them for Salt Water fish with corals and what not. What does one get for gold fish? River Rocks, pebbles, some wide leaf plants...
  • Water ... From all the reading I found out it's ok to use tap water which has been left out for about 24 hours so chlorine and toxins can get out. Sounds good to me but: is it ok/better to use distilled water or is there anything else I should do?
  • I also read I should monitor amonia?, nitric?, pH and some other levels? How do I do that, is it necessary, and what are the correct levels?

I know this is a lot to ask but as you can imagine - I know nothing about this ;) I would really appreciate if you could address all of the issues so my fish can be as happy as I am ;)

Thanks in advance.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Well it sounds as though you are going about this all right :p Those tanks that you listed above are a great size for starting a Goldie in. Just and FYI (in case you havent found this out already) if a Goldfish is properly cared for they can and will reach 12 inches in length. So obviously in time the fish will need a larger home; however, its takes a while for these guys to grow so you should be set for a little while.

Lighting for a Goldie isnt a big deal. Most of the 'fancy' lights are for those who wish to grow coral or plants. You can go with whatever comes on the tank or another light. Im not the most knowledgeable in this area ;)

Goldfish breath from the waters surface so need access to it. Filter wise you want something strong enough for the amount of gallons that you have at minimum. I prefer to double mine though and on messy tanks I triple it. LOL. Even though a filter will help you with keeping the tank clean you will still need to clean it yourself, at least once a week with a Goldie (20% or so each time).

Get a test kit, liquids are more accurate. You will want to monitor things and makes sure your levels stay steady and safe.

peconi

New Fish
Sep 8, 2008
Thanks for your answer ;)

After some more research and stroll down the closest Pet store, I found that the two tanks I mentioned may not float my boat ;) They seem to be overly expensive for the size they provide, and, even though they include everything needed - they just seem so closed and confined.

The main reason for getting the aquarium is for both me and my fish to feel open and good, so I found these instead: Aqueon » Products » Aqueon Aquarium Kits

I am going to be getting a 29 gallon or maybe a 36 gallon model. It looks very nice and it comes with everything necessary.

Can't wait to get it tomorrow ;)

1) Any experience with Aqueon pumps/filters?
2) I want to get some ship-wreck prop installed which accepts the air tube... Now, where do I get the air from exactly??? Do I need a separate pump or?

Thanks ;)

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
IF, you are looking for a good deal on tanks, I would probably vote against buying package deals and buy everything seperate. If you look around (store sales, craigs list) you can find bare tanks for pretty cheap: IE my 20G was 30.00, people sell 55G tanks for 50-75.00 on craigslist, and so on. The filter and the heater are going to be the bulk of the costs imho, I'd say my filter for a 20G was 50.00, and the heater was maybe 30ish (i forget), but it does get to be a bit more for the ones that suit bigger tanks. GOOD NEWS FOR YOU! goldfish usually wont need a heater because they live in cool temperatures anyway, so unless your putting your tank in a freezer you should be fine without.

Here's something to consider; do you want JUST 1 goldfish forever? Or would you like some tank mates with it? If you're going for multiple goldfish over time, I would get a large tank. If goldie is going to be a loner, then a 20-30G would probably do, just so you can pretty it up with decor/plant and maybe add a pleco.

Good job on the research you've done, people on this site are genius (not sarcasm). GL with your tank whichever way you go with it~

peconi

New Fish
Sep 8, 2008
Thanks for your help ;)

I'm gonna look around today at Jack's Aquarium and Pets store and then stop by some Petland and Petsmarts along the way. The main reason why I was looking at a combo deal was 1) I want a bent front glass (and aquarium which closes nicely on top), 2) I don't want to make a mistake by buying an underperforming pump/filter for the chosen aquarium.

Anyways - I'll let you know ...

Poor Fishlitz (that's her name), has already clouded the bowl ... Gotta run ...