Help with my GoldFishes

Bucki

New Fish
Sep 5, 2012
Hi All

I hope I came to the right place for help.
Right ... I am not a fish-man (meaning, I have not much idea about fishes)
However, I recently purchased a whole unit fish tank, with heater, pump including 12 GoldFishe(s)

Anyway, I got it my room eventually ... and for some reason the fishes seem to stay together in a corner (most times)
and also they go to the top and make bubbles.

Please view the video: **Should be uploaded in next 15min **

[video]http://albafusion.com/GoldFish/Fish%20Tank.MOV[/video]

Let me know what to do :(

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Welcome to the forum! You don't say what size tank it is and how long its been set up. Do you know anything about cycling a tank, what it means, etc.? Gold fish are cold water fish and don't require a heater. They also take much more room than many other fish. My first thought is you have too many fish in a tank that is too warm and they are out of oxygen. Please give us some more info - size of tank and the temp. Ammonia build up with that many fish would happen very quickly.

Feb 27, 2009
However, I recently purchased a whole unit fish tank, with heater, pump including 12 GoldFishe(s)
Welcome, Bucki and we hope your can get things right for your fish. Thyra offered some good advice. To add to that: Goldfish need a lot of space, and depending on the type, can grow to full size of 5inches to 2+ feet. If they are the fancy type, they stay the smallest and usually max out at 5-8 inches. One needs 20 gallons, and you'd need 10 more gallons for each additional goldie. For 12, you would be looking at a 130+ gallon tank. If they are Koi, you would need a pond.

Bucki

New Fish
Sep 5, 2012
Hi

The size of the tank is : 97cm x 38cm x 50cm

I removed the heater, the water is room temperature now.
If required, I can remove 25% of the tank and refill with TAB WATER - can I do that!?

I got it my house 3 days ago ... again I filled it up with tab water.
Enough oxygen?! Well, not sure how much more airpumps I need but there is one air pipe (will make 2 out of it, soon)
and then the small water filter pump (on the right side) also makes bubbles ...

Maybe 12 goldfishes are bit too much, how many of them should I keep then?
I could sell a few and then purchase some tropical fishes -

apparently Goldfishes can retain water temp. up to 28c
and tropical fishes ideal temp is round 28c = if I am not wrong.

Thanks

Feb 27, 2009
The tank is roughly 44 gallons or 166 litres. You have room for up to 3 goldfish in the tank if they are the 'fancy' varieties. Can you post a pic of the fish to help determine what type you have?

Although it can be done, its generally not a good idea to keep goldfish and tropical fish together, even though their temperature ranges can overlap some. There are some cooler water tropical fish (such as white cloud minnows) that do well in goldfish temperatures. Keep in mind that if you do add tropicals, it would lower the number of goldfish you would be able to house.

Bucki

New Fish
Sep 5, 2012
IMG_1700.jpg IMG_1701.jpg IMG_1702.jpg

I hope I made good pictures for u to find out what type of fish they are.
The guy told me they are goldfish and not common ones that are given as gifts.

Not sure which ones to keep now lol
I like the big ones... I guess, I can keep one big and 2 other small ones ..

or !???

Bucki

New Fish
Sep 5, 2012
So ur saying, all them fishes are "comet" goldfish type?
does it mean, all of them will grow big ... as u saw, there 2 of the big ones ... will they go even bigger?? lol

By the way, are they worth when it comes down to selling them?

Thanks

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I use to have them for awhile and sold them back to the local or Japanese restaurants with the ponds when they got to big for my 150 gallon. The local pet store would give me a few bux each and the restaurants a little discount next time I ate there. Yes, they got to big for my 6 foot long 150G!!!! LOL.

Bucki

New Fish
Sep 5, 2012
Hmm

does it mean, all of them will grow big ... as u saw, there 2 of the big ones ... will they go even bigger?? lol

By the way, are they worth when it comes down to selling them?

Thanks
Ermmmm anyone?!

Feb 27, 2009

By the way, are they worth when it comes down to selling them?Thanks
Yes, your goldfish are the comet type. Given proper care, they will be huge very shortly (see KcMopar's comments at the top of this page - they outgrew a 150 gallon tank).

I have no idea what they are worth to sell them. Every city/country has their own idea of what something is worth. You'd have to ask around locally.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
My experience is limited. Comets, if I am not mistaken are what Petsmart sells as "feeder fish" for 10 cents apiece and if they are a little bigger - .25 cents. The biggest mine have ever grown is about 4" in a 100 or 150 gallon stock tank. I am going to venture a guess that if you try to keep them in the tank they are in now, they will not grow very fast at all, but the pictures you took certainly make them look oxygen starved and I have no idea how you could add enough O2 for that many fish in that tank.

Bucki

New Fish
Sep 5, 2012
Maybe you might want to consider finding new homes for the comets and getting tropical fish instead. In a 44g tank you could do a lovely community with a variety of colourful fish. Just an idea....
Thank you everybody
U been very helpful to me :)

I think im getting rid of the goldfish
And going to tropical volourfull fishes instead

If i get to it, i will post new pics with the new fishes

Thanksss