Help with coldwater loach.

emma1981

Small Fish
Mar 20, 2011
Hi,
About 2yrs ago I bought what I was told was a pleco from a pet store. I thought the big ones looked cool when sucking on the glass & was an absolute fish novice.
They bagged up 4 of them & I took them home.
I didnt see any of them for weeks so I phoned the pet store. They said it was perfectly normal & that they only came out at night when everything was dark.
A week later with still no sign I did a complete tank clean (i know what was I doing!!) & came across 3 skelentons......yes they had all died bar one.
Back to the pet shop I went & they gave me 3 in replacement........
2 weeks later the 3 were dead. So I gave up.
I grew suspicious about a yr later that the remaining live one "Flat Eric" had not grown at all & was still 3 cm in length.
But as I have a goldfish that has never grown I gave the store the benifit of the doubt....until this week.
Stumbling around ebay I found out what I actually had bought.... Butterfly Hong Kong Pleco Hill Stream Loach is the full name.
I do not know anything about these fish, he does seem happy but I wanted to get him breeding (assuming its a he) & wondered if anyone has any experience with these cute little fish.
He seems happy & the Goldfish totally ignore him but where can I get more & what do I do to breed them as I want to avoid the massacre I had last time where 6 died.
Any thoughts??
P.s the pet store where I bought them has since closed....gee i wonder why!!

Are you sure Hillstream Loaches are coldwater fish?

For loaches that actually do thrive in coldwater, you might want to look into Weather Loaches, also called dojos.

As for the store which misled you closing, I think that's a blessing to everyone.

Are there any other aquarium stores within reasonable distance of where you live? How about local breeders?

You can also search for these online, or check out Foster & Smith or Pet Solutions. You might find some, there.

If you ever want to try dojo loaches, they're cute as can be and easy to care for. Breeding in captivity is rare, though.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
soooo well one tricky fish to keep

surprised you have haphazardly had the luck you have with your guy fat eric.

gold fish are not an ideal tank mate for basically anything

you need a different tank they need a river set up to breed and live happily if you cant do that then you should have multiple powerheads running at the bottom of the tank to simulate current.

emma1981

Small Fish
Mar 20, 2011
Wow thanks for the great response, I have found the local plant nursery sells them in there aquatic centre & theyre just called hing kong plecos.
I have just moved the big goldfish into a much larger tank & "Flat Eric" is only shareing with applesnails now so he seems ok. I built him a little slate cave & plant pot hideaway, & am getting a current simulator i found on ebay for about ten pounds. I am hopeing to get another 3 plecs to keep him company as apparently the should be kept in numbers of no less than 6!! Poor little thing must've been so lonely!!
If it helps the tank has soil, gravel, hideaways, natural plants & is 110 litres. Thanks for all your help. Any more advice please keep me posted.....hopefully I will have little babies sometime soon.

Oct 29, 2010
Wow Emma, you rock! It's great to see someone make changes and take responsibility when they realize they have a difficult to care for pet :D

Only question I have is do you have a heater yet? These guys aren't actually coldwater.

Other than that, sounds great! Best of luck with your tank!

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Well, everyone seems to have answered most of your questions.
Regarding breeding; they usually breed "accidentally", meaning not very much is known about their breeding. Apparently, you cannot tell the sexes apart visually. Your best bet is to buy a small group, plant the tank well, keep a good current going (I've heard stories of them breeding right under the filter because they love currents so much!) and keep pristine water.
For tank mates -if you were considering them- I would keep tetras or a similar, clam fish. Tell us what you like!